A Southern Grace: eat more cake

January 3, 2017

eat more cake

Yum

Cranberry orange cake. I didn't think it would happen, but we had quite a bit of cranberry sauce leftover from Thanksgiving.


That's a fine problem to have, to be sure!

I dealt with it the best and most delicious way I know--I baked it into a cake. The simple buttermilk batter really benefited from the sweet and tart cranberry sauce mixed into the top bit, and the orange zest in that sauce added another layer of complementary flavor.


The original recipe for this cake calls for a 9-inch square pan, but I have an 8-inch, so that's what I used. The cake was certainly thicker, and I will say that it got a little bit more done on the edges than I would've liked, so if you have a 9-inch or equivalent, be sure to use that!

As you can tell, I am not giving up cake as part of any New Year's resolutions!

All-Occasion Cranberry Orange Cake
Based on this recipe
(printable recipe)
Serves 8-12
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2-1 cup homemade cranberry orange sauce*
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • Coarse sugar, for the top
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch square baking pan (or something similar) with butter or coat with non-stick spray.
Cream butter (with orange zest, if using) and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
Add the flour mixture to the batter a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk. (It would be at this point that you would add the fresh cranberries.)
Spread the batter into pan, then dollop on the cranberry sauce. Swirl the sauce into the cake batter with a knife.
Sprinkle the cake with coarse sugar.
Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

*You can certainly use store-bought sauce or even fresh or frozen cranberries (1/2-1 cup), but also be sure to add some orange zest too!

13 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Actually I find that slightly over baked edges are the best :-)) The cake looks awesome, Grace.

Pam said...

A good problem indeed. The cake looks delicious & pretty too.

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

Never too much cake! And I think the tart cranberries complement anything sweet--looks like a keeper!

Food Gal said...

Now, that's a clever way to use a leftover AND turn it into something even better. Plus, when you enjoy it the morning with coffee, you get to reminisce about the evening before, making those tasty memories come alive.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

And now, I am craving cake. This cake to be specific.

Tania | My Kitchen Stories said...

Grace....to be honest this looks a whole lot better toi me than having it with turkey. brilliant idea!

Katerina said...

I can never have enough cake! This looks absolutely mouthwatering! Happy New Year to you and your family!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Man that looks SO good Grace! Love the colour of the cranberry on top. I can has cake? :P

Barbara said...

Oh, I love that idea, Grace. I usually freeze my leftover sauce, but I really must try this cake. Looks so tender!

Velva said...

Grace, this looks good. Honestly, I would like the more crispy edges and thicker cake.

Happy New Year to you! I am looking forward to enjoying your posts in 2017!

Velva

aki! said...

I have never really used cranberries successfully before. This looks delish!

7% Solution

Beth said...

This sounds delicious - cranberry and oranges work beautifully together. (I haven't given up sweets for the New Year, either.)

Marcelle said...

Hi Grace, cranberry-orange is one of my favorite flavor combos...those two flavors were just made for each other :) This cake sounds SO good, especially with buttermilk in that batter!! Yum!!