A Southern Grace: the casual veggie

October 5, 2015

the casual veggie

Yum

If you go meat-free at least one day per week, you might be a casual vegetarian.


As someone who doesn't feel compelled to have meat with every meal or even at all some days, this term describes me perfectly. I recently submitted a few recipes in the hopes of sharing them in an upcoming cookbook called The Casual Veggie, which is available for sale on October 19th. Molly, the brainchild of the operation, blogs at Parsley and Pumpkins. There are 29 veggies included, and each has a chapter devoted to it and can really shine because it’s represented in so many different kinds of recipe styles, including meat dishes, meatless, gluten free, breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts, and snacks. A grand total of 48 bloggers with unique perspectives submitted 166 recipes for the cookbook, and I'm chuffed to be a part of it!


This is truly an incredible resource to love eating your veggies and make healthy eating feel like second nature. It's digital format is invaluable for so many reasons:
*Internal linking makes it easy to navigate the 400+ pages.
*The table of contents contains links to jump ahead.
*Each veggie chapter contains a link to jump back to the table of contents or ahead to the index.
*Each blogger's bio contains links to her website.
*Side by side viewing on desktop to see photo and recipe together.
*Vertical scrolling on tablets and smart phones shows the photo first, then the recipe.


Plus, it's printer-friendly! The photo and recipe are on separate pages, so the recipe can be printed without the photo. The page number in the table of contents indicates the page of the black and white recipe so you can print the recipe you need without jumping to that place in the cookbook. Stay tuned for much more information about the cookbook, as well as giveaways and details about some of the other contributing bloggers.

This carrot salad marks the first time I remember liking that specific vegetable, and it just so happens to be a quick, easy, and delicious use for them. There's creaminess, chewiness, and crunch, plus some sweetness and earthiness to boot. You can find the recipe in the cookbook!


Here's a list of my smart and savvy fellow contributors and links to what they have to say about this awesome book:

A Tasty Mess
Cooking Up Clean
Family Food on the Table
Family for Health
Fitful Focus
Haute and Healthy Living
Hola Jalapeno
Jeanie and Lulu's Kitchen
Key Ingredients
Parsley and Pumpkins
Primal Health with Jean
Pumpkin and Peanut Butter
Real Simple Good
Stupid Good
The Delicious Balance
The Weekly Menu
Toaster Oven Love
Treble in the Kitchen
Vermilion Roots
Where is my Spoon?
Will Cook For Friends


You can meet them all at #TheCasualVeggie Cookbook Launch Party! Our virtual party will kick off on October 19th with drink and appetizer recipes then wind down on October 24th a veggie potluck recipe party. See you there!

24 comments:

Family Farms Manager said...

Hi. It is still raining here in South Carolina so I finally have time to read some food blogs. My wife and I run a hand-crafted food company called Vegetable Kingdom and we are thinking about working with some writers like you to try our products, test out some of our recipe ideas and create your own recipes. If you do this sort of collaboration, please take a look at www.vegetablekingdom.com and contact us at vegetablekingdom@gmail.com - thanks and we hope to hear from you, Pat and Ann

Barbara said...

Super idea for a book, Grace. One of my favorite old cookbooks is entirely about vegetables. I use it often. An ebook like this one will be great fun.

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Looks like a great collaboration of bloggers Grace, 166 recipes is huge.

Christine | Vermilion Roots said...

I eat carrots ever day. Excited about your recipe. See you on the 19th! :-)

Gloria Baker said...

I love these crunchy carrot Grace :)

Unknown said...

I see a comedy act in your future…If you ____ you might be a casual vegetarian :) Excited to be part of this book with you and I can’t wait to try that carrot recipe it looks delicious!

Pam said...

Ha! Like the casual vegetarian. The cookbook sounds like a good thing. And your carrot slaw looks crunchy delicious!

Adina said...

I am so glad to be part of this as well!

Leigh Suznovich said...

I'm thrilled to be a part of this with you! I'm a casual vegetarian too. We love to do meatless Mondays here in my house :-).

Rachel @ Delicious Balance said...

I'm excited to be a part of the cookbook with you. Your carrot slaw looks sooooo delicious! - Rachel at www.thedeliciousbalance.com

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I don't naturally gravitate towards raw carrot but your salad looks just the way I would eat it! :D Love creamy salad dressings and crunchy salads :D

Willow @ Will Cook For Friends said...

So glad to "meet" you via working on this cookbook, Grace! I love that you describe yourself as a casual vegetarian -- I would never have thought to say that, but I am the same way. I do eat meat, but like you said, it isn't a big part of my daily diet.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone better, and so excited for the 19th!

Unknown said...

So great to meet you Grace! Love meeting fellow veggie lovers! Your carrot slaw looks amazing!

Unknown said...

Grace! I love that you call yourself a casual vegetarian! I didn't always eat as much meat as I do now, and would have once thought of myself as a casual vegetarian as well! It's so fun to meet other bloggers who share a passion for food! It's nice to meet you. We're looking forward to the 19th!

Angie's Recipes said...

A fantastic idea! Those carrot sticks look very delicious.

Kate @ Framed Cooks said...

I am always veggie-idea-challenged (this never happens to me with desserts - hmmm) - so very happy to hear about this! :)

Pam said...

I am most definitely a casual vegetarian. This book is such a terrific idea! Congrats on being included in it!

Unknown said...

YES! I love the idea of a casual vegetarian! I'm so glad to have you in the cookbook!

Katerina said...

I love this salad so refreshing and carrot is one of my favorite veggies! Great book!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful way to meet all you amazing people! Can't wait to make every recipe in the book. :)

Nicole @ Fitful Focus said...

So nice to meet you though the cookbook! Can't wait for the launch :)

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Looking forward to seeing this. The way our garden produced this year, I could use some inspiration on new ways to enjoy the veggies. Especially the carrots...

Midlife Mom said...

Looking forward to checking it out!

I Wilkerson said...

What a fun project to be part of! I love being able to find the shredded carrots--really streamlines some of that veggie eating!