A Southern Grace: so charred to say goodbye

September 3, 2013

so charred to say goodbye

Yum

Well, corn season is sadly over, at least for me and my personal gardeners (also known as my family).


I think corn must be my favorite summer veggie. So far this year, I've enjoyed corn risotto, Mexican street corn, corn cakes, spoonbread, succotash, and grilled corn on the cob, among other things. One of the best ingredients to pair with corn, in my opinion, is black beans. The combination of their textures and flavors is interesting and unique, and the two almost always seem to be seasoned with components that guarantee a kick.


This summer salsa is no exception--it gets its fire from chipotle chiles. You can certainly decrease the amount of those potent little peppers depending on your tolerance, but there's plenty of bright cilantro and tart lime juice to balance out that heat. One thing that I've added to this salsa in the past is avocado, and that cools things down even more and also adds a pleasant burst of color.


If you've never had grilled or charred corn, I must inform you that you're missing out. It tastes totally different from and even better than steamed corn and it has even more of a satisfying pop. Man, I'm gonna miss that pop. Even though I have a few ears frozen away for a snowy day, it's just not the same. (Cue the tragic violin music.)

Farewell to Summer Salsa
Serves 6-8
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 cups corn kernels, fresh or thawed from frozen
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
  • 4 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions:
Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook for about 30 seconds, then stir in corn kernels. Cook corn for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned. You want the kernels to develop brown, or even a few blackened, charred spots on them. Remove from heat and place corn in a large bowl. Add tomatoes, cilantro, black beans, lime juice, chipotle chiles, cumin, and salt. Mix well. Chill for about 30 minutes before serving.

22 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Scrumptious and colorful!

Cheers,

Rosa

pam said...

My organic corn that I've been getting from my CSA, while it's delicious, it's also topped with worms. So, now I'm a little squeamish around the corn.

~~louise~~ said...

Unfortunately, it hasn't been such a good corn year around here this year. Like Pam, every time I buy corn, whether from a local stand or market, it's simple inedible. I did manage to salvage a few and I heard today there is Silver Corn being sold locally. I'll be checking it out for sure. Corn is Golden and your Salsa looks heavenly, Grace!

Thanks for sharing...

Julie M. said...

Man, how I love corn. You are so right, it's a sad day when the season is over. That salsa is a gorgeous site to behold.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'll definitely put my hand up as corn mad! I especially love white corn-it's so sweet and juicy! :D

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

We eat lots of corn as well all love it and it perks so many dishes up. I love this one.

Angie's Recipes said...

A colourful and delicious dish to bid goodbye to summer!

Pam said...

Wait - you have personal gardeners? Pretty snazzy lady.

The corn salsa is a delicious way of saying goodbye to corn season. YUM.

Erica said...

I love grilling my corn! In Colombia we always eat grilled corn and it is delicious. What a wonderful dish, Grace!

Carolyn Jung said...

Grilled corn is the bomb. I'm sorry to see corn season coming to a close, too. Too bad summer can't last forever.

Blond Duck said...

I just bought some sweet corn-- so thrilled!

Gloria Baker said...

look amazing Grace!!

Anonymous said...

THIS IS THE MOST IDEAL WAY TO CELEBRATE THE CHANGE OF SEASON....SUCH A BURST OF BEAUTIFUL COLORS IN THIS DISH AND QUICK TO MAKE TOO,TASTES SCRUMPTIOUS....A WINNER AT HOME :-)

Becki's Whole Life said...

I know...I'm kinda sad that sweet corn and garden tomatoes are nearing their end for the summer. This salsa sounds great and I say the more chipotles the better!

Joanne said...

The end of corn season kind of makes me cry! I think we still have a week or so left here...so definitely enough time to make this!

Beth said...

Corn is so versatile, isn't it? I love it paired with black beans too. Your salsa sounds awesome!

Juliana said...

Looks beautiful this salsa of yours...and yes I love the charred corn...yum!
Hope you are having a great week Grace :D

lisa is cooking said...

No! I can't say goodbye to corn yet. Corn, chipotles, and black beans is a happy combo for me.

Caroline Taylor said...

I've just got some sweetcorn in the veg box, this is a great idea!

Rosita Vargas said...

Este plato se ve muy rico y colorido me encanta,saludos y abrazos

Barbara said...

It's a super looking salsa, Grace. I well remember August corn...especially bantam corn. We loved it. Sorry to read in your comments it was a bad year for corn. Anything we get here is hardly freshly picked. :(
There are many days I really miss Michigan...

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I am loving this salsa, it looks so incredible! The perfect goodbye to corn