A Southern Grace: pour some (brown) sugar (and cinnamon) on me

November 29, 2012

pour some (brown) sugar (and cinnamon) on me

Yum


Cinnamon, brown sugar, and caramel are very near and dear to me. They make up my baking trifecta.


Knowing this, I set out to make a cupcake that somehow incorporated all three, and I think I created a real masterpiece. It all starts with a brown sugar pound cake that's soft and dense to an ideal degree. The next aspect is a cinnamon whipped cream filling that was lucky to make it inside the cupcakes at all--it's delectably fragrant and fluffy! The final touch is a made-from-scratch caramel frosting that's thick and sweet and irresistible.


I suppose a dulce de leche filling and cinnamon buttercream frosting would be tasty too. Let's be honest--any combination of those three ingredients is gonna make me happy. No one component dominates the others; they have a nice balance and taste wonderful together. How would you combine the three?


I'm sure there's some sort of PG-rated ménage à trois joke that would be perfect here. Pretend that there is, and laugh heartily. :)

No-Third-Wheel Cupcakes
Makes about 2 dozen
Ingredients:
One batch of brown sugar pound cake cupcakes
Cinnamon whipped cream filling:
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Caramel frosting:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more as necessary
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
Directions:
Make the cupcakes as directed and let them cool completely.
To make the filling, simply whip the cream and sugar until stiff, then blend in the cinnamon.
To make the frosting, melt butter in saucepan. Add brown sugar and cream. Cook over medium-low heat for about 2 minutes, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Transfer to a mixing bowl and beat in powdered sugar until smooth. If frosting is too thick, add 1 tablespoon heavy cream at a time until consistency is right.
To fill the cupcakes, carve out a cone-shaped hole and squirt the cinnamon whipped cream inside. Apply frosting generously to the cupcakes and, after giving the components a few minutes to get friendly, devour.

25 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

My kind of flavor. A tempting cupcake.

Cheers,

Rosa

Alicia Foodycat said...

Definitely my favourite flavours! Tell you what though - your butterscotch goombah would be the ideal filling for this.

Barbara said...

Oh! I love the font of your header!!
Almost as much as the cupcake recipe.
:)

Kathy Walker said...

Oh my....let me join you in the brown sugar and cinnamon shower....love it. These are too much to resist!

Pam said...

Three of my favorites together in a luscious cupcake... YUM!

Cheesy Pennies said...

Header font rocks! (And the cupcakes do, too, especially the caramel frosting part)

A Plum By Any Other Name said...

I am at work right now and cinnamon whipped cream and caramel is just not fair. Needless to say, I want.

Lisa-Marie said...

Beautiful! And so light and fluffy looking! :) you are the cake master grace!

Hungry Dog said...

The words "brown sugar" alone make me swoon. I'll pretty much make anything that have them in the title. Your cupcakes, as always, look fantastic.

The Squishy Monster said...

oooh...sounds delightful! I'm savoring just the name of it even, bc I can't taste it from here...YUM!!

scrambledhenfruit said...

Brown sugar, cinnamon and caramel make me want to go into the kitchen and bake right now. :) These look seriously delicious.

Beth said...

That is one perfect trifecta. What an amazing blend of flavors!

Carolyn Jung said...

I think that trifecta is near and dear to everyone....well, at least anyone I'd want to associate with. LOL

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

A perfect cupcake with awesome ingredients :)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!

Joanne said...

You have put all that is good in this world in these cupcakes. Seriously.

Nic said...

You definitely know how to take a cupcake to the next level Grace! Popping over later, so save a few for me....

shaz said...

Whoa, the flavour combo sounds amazing, but that frosting must be a show-stopper. You have such a knack for frostings Grace, they look fab too.

Anonymous said...

Appreciate this post. Will try it out.
My site : how to play piano

Angie's Recipes said...

Cinnamon is my favourite spice. The cupcake looks beautiful.

Laura said...

That's gorgeous!

Not Quite Nigella said...

Apart from drooling and lusting, I have the Def Leppard song Pour Some Sugar On Me going around in my head :)

cakewhiz said...

i completely agree with you... cinnamom brown sugar and caramel are some of my favorite ingredients to use in my baking! that cupcake is so tempting ;)

I WIlkerson said...

All of my favorite flavors. I'll bet these are amazing. I so wish tastes could go through the internet like phone calls...

lisa is cooking said...

This is a lovely combination of the trifecta. The cinnamon buttercream and dulce de leche filling sounds delicious too. I'd like to taste them both!