A Southern Grace: hats off to you, gandhi!

February 28, 2008

hats off to you, gandhi!

Yum

I am currently fasting for a standard blood test.

It’s the most difficult thing I’ve done in a loooong time.

No food, drink (other than water), gum, or mints after midnight last night. Why in the world would they schedule the actual blood extraction for 11 am? Seriously! This would be challenging even for people who keep normal waking hours. However, I have two habits that are making this extra hard for me. First, I get up at 3 am. So when my test finally rolls around, I will have been without nourishment for 18 hours. Second, I’m a grazer--I’m used to eating many miniature meals throughout the day.


Needless to say, I’ve been drooling over every morsel of edible substance that I’ve seen for the past six hours. Working in a place where food is the business is not helpful. Neither are the nibblies that I have stashed in every single drawer of my desk...

And no coffee? I’m a wreck.


I will gladly accept any pity or encouragement you have to offer.

UPDATE: I made it. After waiting around for an hour for a two-minute process, I was finally allowed to stuff my face. I celebrated my survival at Ruby Tuesday with a scrum-diddly-umptious avocado turkey burger. Mmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry! I do understand..I often fast and pray..sometimes for as long as a month on limited food intake..Very hard for a foodie!
But, soon it will be over and you can tret yourself to something wonderful, right?

Emily said...

Avocado turkey burger? Yum.

Wow, I've never had to fast before. I bet it was really hard. You did it! Now you can stuff your face.

Anonymous said...

I have to do that either next week or the week after. But I can't eat after 8PM and the blood test stuff is at 8AM (Kaiser so I can just go in at any time I want after 8). I will NEED breakfast after that even though I don't do breakfast.