Serves 12 generously
- 1 box vanilla cake mix, prepared according to package
- 1 pound strawberries with tops removed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces whipped topping, thawed
- Strawberries and graham cracker crumbs, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a 13×9-inch baking pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Prepare the vanilla cake batter according to the package directions, then pour it into the prepared pan and bake for 22-28 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Let the cake cool slightly, but when still warm, using the back of a wooden spoon, poke several deep, large holes in the cake.
In a large bowl, mash strawberries with a whisk or fork until very fine.
Add cream cheese and condensed milk, whisking or beating until there are no large lumps.
Pour the mixture carefully over the cake, being sure to fill up those holes, then refrigerate for about 30 minutes, until the cake has absorbed as much of the mixture as possible.
Spread the whipped topping evenly on top.
Chill the cake at least 4 hours, but overnight is even better.
Serve slices with fresh strawberries and graham cracker crumbs.