A Southern Grace: fleet flitterers

May 17, 2018

fleet flitterers

Yum

Brown butter cream cheese frosting. We always tend to celebrate Easter in conjunction with my birthday, and that's fine. I'd be making a cake either way!


This year, I made the always popular (at least among my family members) hummingbird cake, which is moistened with bananas and pineapple--it's really delicious. I went a little rogue with the frosting, opting for a never-before-tried brown butter cream cheese number that turned out so well, it might be my new go-to frosting for everything!


The combination of nutty and tangy frosting with the sweet and dense cake was perfect and it was indeed a great Easter celebration and a happy birthday for me!

Best Frosting Ever
Based on this recipe
(printable recipe)
Frosts 1 13x9-inch sheet cake or 1 8- or 9-inch 2-layer cake
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
  • 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
  • Pinch salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup cold cream cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
Directions:
Place the butter in a light colored skillet or saucepan over medium heat until melted.
Continue cooking, swirling the pan constantly and stirring, until the butter is dark golden brown and smells nutty.
Transfer to a small bowl, cover and place in the freezer for about 45 minutes or until it solidifies but is still scoopable.
Place the chilled butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or handheld mixer and beat for about 1 minute until creamy.
Add the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla and beat for about 5 minutes until lightened in both color and texture.
Add one piece of cream cheese at a time, one after the other, mixing well after each addition so there are no lumps.
Continue adding the cream cheese until fully incorporated.
Beat for about 2 minutes to lighten it up, then use as desired.

13 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

The cake looks really airy, tender and amazing with that frosting! Happy belated Birthday, Grace!

Gloria Baker said...

this looks absolutely yumm and delicious Grace, love it!

Gloria Baker said...

BTW Happy birthday and love yours pictures Grace!

georgie @ georgie eats said...

OMG BROWN BUTTER CREAM CHEESE FROSTING!!! I have never heard of such a beautiful thing!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Pretty to look at, delicious to eat. A belated happy birthday to you.

Food Gal said...

I seriously could just eat a bowl of the frosting. LOL Hope you had a sweet birthday celebration! ;)

Adina said...

I am always looking for new good frosting ideas. This one sounds great, especially since it has cream cheese in it!

Inger@Art of Natural Living said...

Looks delicious Grace! Guessing this would be good on a spice cake too.

Pam said...

You had me at brown butter cream cheese frosting... it looks and sounds incredible. I need to try the hummingbird cake too. Yum.

Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen said...

Brown butter is just magical! I could go for. a slice (or two) of this gorgeous cake with my coffee this morning!

All That I'm Eating said...

I love brown butter and that frosting looks just amazing.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Temps are in the high 90's today and tomorrow, so I had said I wasn't baking anything until this heat wave passed. But, now... I think I need to bake, and frost!

Emma - Bake Then Eat said...

OMG, this frosting..... I bet its amazing and especially amazing on hummingbird cake! Happy belated birthday.