A Southern Grace: foxy lady

April 9, 2018

foxy lady

Yum

Coconut ricotta cake. Ricotta cheese is some pretty fantastic stuff.


Sure, there are a few other cheeses that are just as good in savory dishes as they are in sweet, but I daresay that none do it quite as well as ricotta.

This ricotta-heavy cake is moist and tender and definitely not overly sweet. My husband, who "doesn't really care about desserts," suggested I frost it, and I ultimately agreed, though it's not necessary for those of you without a mouth full of sweet teeth. In hindsight, a smattering of toasted coconut on top would've made this cake much more photogenic and even tastier.


So you're perhaps wondering about the title of this post? Well, when I moved to Charlotte, NC, from the boonies of VA, I never expected to see any wildlife whatsoever, but I have! And now there are foxes behind our house! I never even saw those in the woods where I grew up! [A house in the woods, mind you--we didn't live outside. :)] Not only have I laid eyes on a mama fox TWICE, but we've captured her kits on our game cam! (In case you can't tell by all of the exclamation marks, I'm pretty excited.)


Most exciting spring of my life, I think.

Ricotta Cake with an Afterthought of Coconut Frosting
(printable recipe)
Based on this recipe
Serves 10-12
Ingredients:
Cake:
  • 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese (not skim)
Frosting:
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 tablespoons milk, more as needed
  • 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Butter a 9-inch springform pan, line bottom with a round of parchment paper and butter parchment.
In a medium mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
With a hand mixer or in the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the sugar, butter, and vanilla bean paste until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Mix in the eggs one at a time, just until each is incorporated.
Add in half of the flour mixture and mix just until combined, then add the ricotta and mix just until combined.
Add in last half of the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
Gently fold batter to ensure ingredients are evenly incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
Bake until the cake is set (a toothpick can come out moist but no batter), about 45-50 minutes.
Let cake cool 10 minutes then run a knife around edge to loosen any edges that may have stuck slightly, then remove springform ring and continue to let cool.
To make the frosting, beat together the butter and powdered sugar, thinning with the milk until the desired consistency is reached.
Add the coconut extract and mix to combine.
Slather the frosting on the cooled cake and devour!

16 comments:

All That I'm Eating said...

That sponge looks amazing, I bet it's the ricotta that does it!

Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen said...

How cute are those little foxes? We have foxes around here, I think, but I've never seen one, which is good because they're huge and I'd probably freak out. And then need a slice of this cake to calm me down :)

Angie's Recipes said...

wow Fox behind your house...how cool!
The cake has such a fine and tender crumb...absolutely heavenly!

Inger@Art of Natural Living said...

Your cake looks so moist and delicious Grace! Love your foxes. I live in a town called "Fox Point" and I have NEVER seen a fox here!

Pam said...

Adorable!! We see them in my husband's hometown in Idaho. Love!!! The cake looks delicious and I bet you're right, toasted coconut would be tasty on top too.

Pam said...

That's great with the foxes! We see them here in our yard, but coyotes much more now. For several years we've had a wood duck nest in the tree in the front yard; crows robbed the nest and smashed all the eggs the other morning while mama was away early in the morn. I'm still upset, we loved watching the babes hatch and fall from the tree and walk to the creek!!!
Your cake sounds delicious, coconut rules! Unfortunately, I'm the only coconut lover here.

Katerina said...

Cheese just like yogurt does give this extra moisture in cakes! This one looks fantastic and the foxes are so cute!

lisa is cooking said...

Well now I can't think about anything but having a slice of this cake with some tea! Love the fox video. How great to have them visiting your yard.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

The fox are posing for you! They are too cute! I've seen one fox in the country near me since living here, but they aren't common... so I am a bit jealous!
This cake looks outstanding. Absolutely must try!

Gloria Baker said...

Looks amazing! Always I think Grace yours cakes are wonderful and delicious!

Unknown said...

What an amazing crumb, I would love to bake this cake!

Marcelle said...

Oh my, this cake looks fluffy and delicious!! I'm printing this recipe out, Grace! How cool about those foxes on your property! I understand about the fascination with visiting wild life. We have a huge owl that comes and sits in one of our big trees at night, if I'm up late I always go check if he's (or she's?) there. So exciting :)

Marjie said...

That cake looks delicious! We have a small red fox here; I've seen him in the daytime once or twice.

Tania| My Kitchen Stories said...

oh wow that looks the best. i really want to make this Grace

Food Gal said...

I love baking with ricotta. It makes everything so much more moist and tender. Not to mention making meatballs especially wonderful tasting.

Emma @ Bake Then Eat said...

What a great looking sponge, I have to admit I too have a sweet tooth and would have frosted it as well.