A Southern Grace: slurpy surprise

March 6, 2018

slurpy surprise

Yum

Sesame soba noodles with chicken. I didn't expect to like soba noodles. My one and only experience with buckwheat (pancakes) was a disaster (hockey pucks).


Surprisingly, I love them! Of course, it doesn't hurt that in this instance, they're coated with a sweet, sour, and salty sauce and mixed with chicken and crunchy veggies. I've made this recipe a few times and like it very much, but I found Nigella's version to be just as delicious and much more photogenic!


This dish is very slurpable. I'm a great fan of sweet and sour flavors in the same dish, and this one delivers in spades. The sesame seeds are responsible for fantastic texture and shouldn't be skipped. The leftovers don't suffer at all and are arguably even better, so next time, I'll probably make a double batch and feast on them all week long!


I'm glad I gave buckwheat another chance. It's super nutritious and, as it turns out, quite tasty too!

Slurpy Sesame Soba Noodles
(printable recipe)
Based on this recipe
Serves 4-6
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
  • 8 ounces soba noodles
  • 2 tablespoons vinegar (rice wine is probably best, I used red wine)
  • 5 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 1 carrot, shaved
  • 1 cup sugar snap peas
  • 1/2 cup edamame
  • 2 chicken breasts, poached and shredded
  • Salt and pepper, to taste
Directions:
Toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan over a high heat until they look golden brown, then set them aside to cool.
Bring a large pan of salted water to a boil, then add the soba noodles and cook them for 2-1/2 minutes (or according to packet instructions) until they are tender but not mushy. Have a bowl of ice water waiting to plunge them into after draining.
In a mixing bowl, combine the vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and hoisin.
Add in the drained soba noodles, carrot, snap peas, edamame, shredded chicken, and sesame seeds and toss to coat.
Refrigerate the noodles for about half an hour to let the flavors develop.

13 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

The sauce definitely makes this dish! It looks mouthwatering!

lisa is cooking said...

This looks deliciously slurpable! I love the thought of having lots of leftovers for several lunches.

Pam said...

That sauce sounds really good! I've never had soba noodles, and must change that.

Inger@Art of Natural Living said...

You know my sister gave me some buckwheat flour she couldn't figure out how to use a number of years ago. I tried a couple things, then tossed it. But I'll stay open-minded about the noodles now!

Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen said...

I love soba noodles so I'm trying this for sure. Yum!

Pam said...

YUM! My kind of dish. Love the sweet, salt, sour flavor combination.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I'm crazy for soba salad especially a friend's vegan version which is so full of flavour :D

Katerina said...

This looks amazing Grace! I love Asian!

Priya said...

Lovely share....

Food Gal said...

Glad you're a new convert to soba noodles. I love them. They have such a great nutty taste.

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

Definitely slurpable! These noodles look super yummy - I haven't had soba noodles in quite a while, so I'm inspired now!

Emma - Bake Then Eat said...

There is something so moreish about noodles bathed in a good sweet and sour style sauce. No wonder you want to make double next time!

Marcelle said...

I love soba noodles, but until recently I had to order them online or just get them at a restaurant. But now finally, my grocery store is carrying them! I'd make a double batch of this recipe too, looks delicious with those crunchy veggies!