A Southern Grace: soup's on!

January 14, 2016

soup's on!

Yum

Leftover turkey meat can be used up in a variety of ways.


I considered enchiladas, barbecue, salad, and tacos, but in the end, the chill in the air got the best of me and I decided to make soup.

I'll confess to you that I've become an avid fan of the pre-packaged butternut squash at the grocery store. I've found it to be priced similarly to the untouched squash yet exponentially easier to use. There's no comparison whatsoever. Forget about it. I don't care how many tricks to peeling butternut squash you can give me and how sharp you can make my knife, there's still no way it can be simpler than dumping the stuff right into the pot. If the price tag was higher, I might consider your side, but it's not, so I won't.

Phew. Rant over. No offense intended.


So this soup is delicious. There are bright colors and flavors, plus there's a mix of textures that gives your jaw something to do and makes your whole mouth happy. By crisping up some of the turkey and using it as something of a garnish, you're simultaneously adding crunch and chew and fantastic flavor; you can skip it, but I think it's great! The soup sans crispy turkey reheats really well, too--I've been working on it for about a week and the quality hasn't really diminished that much at all.

Something about hovering over a bowl of hot soup while watching the wind whip through the trees outside makes me feel happy...and very glad I don't have to be exposed to such weather at that moment. Stay safe and warm, folks!

Super Supper Soup
(printable recipe)
Influenced by this recipe
Serves 6-8
Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided use
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1-1/2 pounds butternut squash, (1 small to medium), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes, or 2 cups already prepared
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme, or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 cups shredded turkey, divided
  • 2 cups frozen corn kernels
  • 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed well
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions:
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Add onion; cook, stirring often, until the onion begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more.
Stir in broth, squash, thyme, and cumin; cover and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Add 1-1/2 cups turkey, corn, and beans; return to a simmer and cook until the turkey is just warmed through, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add lime juice and crushed red pepper.
Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a large skillet. Add remaining 1/2 cup shredded turkey in an even layer. Cook until meat becomes crispy on one side and remove from heat.
Season soup with salt and pepper. Top with crispy turkey and serve with sour cream, salsa and other accompaniments, if desired.

11 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A lovely soup. So comforting!

Cheers,

Rosa

~~louise~~ said...

I was really wondering whether soup time was ever going to arrive this season Grace. We finally have that chill in the air here in PA and I must say, I'm kinda glad:)

Soup just seems to taste better when there's a chill in the air. I've never used the cubed butternut squash but I don't mind saying I've been tempted. Maybe next time:)

I love the ingredients in your soup Grace. The lime juice is a nice touch as is the crispy turkey.

Thanks for sharing, Grace and Happy Soup Month!!!

Marcelle said...

Grace, I literally have a butternut squash roasting in the oven right now for some soup I'm making this afternoon. I just finished the slicing antics and the praying involved with it. I must seek out this pre-cut squash you speak of!! LOL Pic made my tummy growl, looks awesome!

Pam said...

I love the bagged stuff too. Peeling and seeding butternut squash can be such a pain! The soup looks hearty and delicious.

Angie's Recipes said...

A really comforting and warming soup, Grace.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

You're inspiring me for dinner Grace! I have a ham bone from the holidays that I could use as a base too! :D

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Seriously? You can buy squash pre-packaged? I had no idea!
If I can find that around here, I will send you a huge thank you for opening up a whole new world!

Elsa | the whinery said...

That soup looks really good... so comforting. I didn't know you could buy packaged squash? That's awesome, I think I''ll eat more squash now!

Kate @ Framed Cooks said...

There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING that beats soup in January. Adding this delectable one to my collection!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Grace, i found organic squash at Costco already prepped, love this soup looks hearty and comforting.

AdriBarr said...

This soup sounds wonderful - just the thing for a chilly evening. I hope 2016 is treating you well, and I look forward to visiting your site often!