A Southern Grace: frannie's faves

December 31, 2015

frannie's faves

Yum

As soon as I showed any interest in helping out in the kitchen, I spent a few days leading up to each Christmas celebration helping my grandma make batch after batch of candy.


It wasn't serious, candy-thermometer-required candy, but stuff like chocolate-covered peanut butter Ritz sandwich crackers and chocolate-covered pretzels. Another treat we always made went unnamed (I heard my brother say that he just knew it as "that white chocolate peanut butter stuff") but was (and, as I was pleased to discover, continues to be!) amazingly delicious, and those candies are what I remember as being a favorite for both me and my grandma. They consist of melted vanilla or white chocolate bark combined with peanut butter and then mixed with marshmallows, peanuts (optional, if I had my druthers!), and crispy rice cereal. Unbelievably easy and crazy tasty.


I made some to give to my grandma (and others) for Christmas this year--we haven't had a chance to be in the kitchen together for way too long and I thought she'd enjoy remembering those times (and snacking on the cookies).

Happy New Year, everyone!

That White Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuff
(printable recipe)
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups crispy rice cereal
  • 1 cup mini marshmallows
  • 1 cup salted peanuts pieces, optional
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1 pound white chocolate or vanilla bark
Directions:
Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
Mix cereal, marshmallows, and nuts in a large bowl; set aside.
Melt white chocolate and peanut butter together in a double boiler or (carefully) in the microwave.
Once melted and combined, pour the mixture over the cereal and marshmallows and stir until completely coated.
Drop onto the lined pans using a spoon.
Place in refrigerator until chocolate is set, about 1-2 hours.

22 comments:

Kate @ Framed Cooks said...

This year my mom taught my daughter how to make her famous Christmas bread, and I remember learning how to make molasses cookies from my grandma. Recipes passed down from grandmas are the best - this one looks delicious! Happy New Year, Grace!

Alicia Foodycat said...

They look so good!

Pam said...

This sounds like a great treat, Grace and I bet your grandmother was thrilled with it. Makes me miss my grandma. :-) Here's wishing you the best in the coming year, Happy New Year!

~~louise~~ said...

Any sweet candy like "stuff" that doesn't involve a thermometer is high on my list, Grace. Memories can surely be made without one!!!

"That White Chocolate Peanut Butter Stuff" sounds right up my alley. I sure wouldn't mind munching on it while watching the ball drop.

Thank you so much for sharing, Grace. Wishing You and Yours a healthy, Safe and Happy New Year! "See" you next year:)

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

I love family recipes like this, Grace! It looks very tasty. Happy holidays!

Marjie said...

My grandmother was a scattered cook: always used every dish in the kitchen, and you couldn't tell just what was going on, but it sure was good when it came together. It's great that you have memories associated with this candy. Happy New Year, Grace!

Marcelle said...

Oh!! Definitely going to make some! my kids will gobble these up! :)

Unknown said...

What a lovely treat! Sounds delicious! I'm sure I'd like it! Have a Happy New Year!

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

Candy making with Grandma would be a wonderful Christmas tradition! I just wish I could get a more accurate candy thermometer--then I might take on the task of trying to teach my nieces, who are probably more into cooking than my daughters...

Angie's Recipes said...

Must be quite addictive!
Have a wonderful 2016!

Beth said...

Oh my - these sound positively decadent!

Cheri Savory Spoon said...

Hi Grace, I love the story behind these and the fact that they do not have an official name. Your grandma sounds very special.

Velva said...

I would be all over these "peanut butter stuff" Hoping you get to spend time with your grandmother in the kitchen soon.

Happy New Year! I am looking forward to enjoying all your blog posts this year. Love, love your recipes.

Velva

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Delicious, addictive, and never a good name for this treat!

Unknown said...

Sounds simple and yummy- the perfect combination ;) Pinning to try later!

Unknown said...

Sounds simple and yummy- the perfect combination ;) Pinning to try later!

Unknown said...

Yum! Sometimes my favorite recipes are the simple ones that I end up making every year!
Kari
www.sweetteasweetie.com

Jennifer Dawn said...

These look delicious! I love anything with white chocolate! Feel free to share these at our weekly link party. http://www.thelifeofjenniferdawn.com/2016/01/6-amazing-sewing-projects-to-try-today.html I hope to see you there!

Mary said...

This could seriously put a dent in my goals for not eating so many sweets this year. All things in moderation, right?! These look so good. I am a sucker for a sweet/savory treat. Pinning these to make with my kids! Cheers :)

Valen said...

That sounds completely decadent. Yum!!!

Elsa | the whinery said...

Delicious! I love everything that goes into this candy... I can just tell how good they'd taste by just looking at them. Yum!

Unknown said...

I grew up here in central Mississippi making these with my mom at christmas EVERY YEAR!!!! BTW WE CALL THEM "BARK COOKIES" HERE IN MISSISSIPPI!