A Southern Grace: some things never get old

February 3, 2014

some things never get old

Yum

That title has a double meaning. Let me explain.


First of all, these cookies never hang around for long. They're so good, their lifespan ranges anywhere from less than a minute to a few days at the maximum. They don't have a chance to get old!

As to the second meaning, there are very few foods that I can eat repeatedly and always enjoy. I'm the kind of person who gets on a kick and eats something routinely until I get sick of it, and then I don't want to see it again for a long time. I've found an exception to that rule with these cookies. I know what you're probably thinking--of course this is an exception, how could anyone get tired of cookies? Trust me, it's definitely possible, but with these, I find them to be delicious and satisfying every time I put a bite into my mouth.


This recipe comes from a very old cookbook, and it was given to me by my boyfriend's sister. It's the same cookie their mom made for them when they were young and it is unquestionably the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever eaten. I've made this recipe many, many times now, and it's interesting to note that while every batch differs in some way, they're always amazingly delicious. I still have a love for my own mom's chocolate chip cookies, but now that I'm a grown woman and actually have the ability to tweak and hone recipes, I've found one that suits me a little bit better. Sorry, Mammy, but don't fret--you're still my favorite giver of life.

Our Favorite Cookies
Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup butter, softened
  • 2/3 cup shortening
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
Directions:
Beat together the butter and shortening, then cream in the sugars.
Beat in the eggs and vanilla until light and fluffy; this will take a few minutes.
Carefully beat in the flour, soda, and salt until uniformly mixed, then fold in the morsels with a spatula.
Chill dough for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Drop or scoop dough in 1-ounce portions (about 2 tablespoons) onto prepared pan, leaving a couple of inches between each ball.
Bake 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven, or until just brown around the bottom edges.
Cool for a moment on pan, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.

25 comments:

Sue/the view from great island said...

Wow, these look perfect, just the way I like them, chunky and all crackled along the edges. Yay for old cookbooks!

Ally said...

I love eating fancy cookies but when I bake my favorite go to cookie is chocolate chip. These looks delicious!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Indeed! And I never get tired of eating such cookies...

Cheers,

Rosa

Angie's Recipes said...

How true! These cookies wouldn't last long in my house too.

vanillasugarblog said...

maybe 10 years ago I could nail down 1 favorite, but nowadays, after all the changes in the food world? no way; I have at least 5 favorites in the cookie world!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I'm an equal opportunity chocolate chip eater. I'll give them all a try. :) These look yummy, and I know they'd disappear quickly here.

Rosita Vargas said...

Galletas fantàsticas me gustan muchoooooo con chocolate...Bravooo,abrazos.

~~louise~~ said...

Not even morsels, Grace:) This year the chocolate chip morsel turns 75 years young. I can't think of a better way to celebrate than with a recipe from an "old cookbook."

Yes, I have an affinity for old cookbooks but honestly, some of those recipes, simply can't be beat, (no pun intended:)

I have a tendency to wear recipes out all the time. Then I get sick of them and want something different. I've been on an Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookie kick since before Christmas. I really think it's time to omit the oatmeal and get back to basics!

Thanks for the reminder, Grace and for the cookies. Now, I need some milk:)

Jeff @ Cheese-burger.net said...

I for one have never gone tired of cookies. It's one of my all time favorite midnight snack with warm milk.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

To me the proof is in the eating and if something disappears quickly then you know that you're onto a good thing! :D

Joanne said...

It's so true. I'll tire of CCC's when pigs fly. And I'll also not polish off a batch within a day or two when pigs fly.

Pam said...

I could never get sick of these cookies either - yum!

Velva said...

Looks like you have a winning chocolate chip cookie recipe....that is a beautiful thing. These cookies look divine. Your recipe has been saved!

Velva

Katerina said...

Cookies like these never bore me! I keep eating until they are gone!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Chocolate chip cookies won't last too long with me too! I'm always on the lookout for the best recipes :)

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

You know with as much as you love this recipe, I will have to try it! Always looking for a new cookie to love :)

Blond Duck said...

I've been CRAVING chocolate-- and I used to be allergic. Totally making these.

Lucy @ Lucyeats said...

Looks delicious, Grace! I can't imagine they'd last long at my house either!

Barbara said...

Do you know why I can tell this is from an old cookbook? It calls for shortening! You can't beat it in a recipe..my fave peanut butter cookies call for shortening too.
Your cookies look fabulous, Grace. I've copied the recipe and will try when the grandkids come the end of the month.

lisa is cooking said...

I was just thinking about a few recipes I used to make that have fallen off my radar lately. This one sounds like a delicious keeper!

Anonymous said...

I've never thought about using shortening in my choco chip cookies! I will definitely give this a try! Thanks:)

I Wilkerson said...

An even better chocolate chip cookie? Now that sounds dangerous!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Oh I love trying out a new classic chocolate chip recipe :) these look wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I just made these today and they absolutely divine! They are the best cookies I have ever made.

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

I made a batch of these today, and guess what? I LOVE them!