A Southern Grace: sugar and spice...

October 25, 2013

sugar and spice...

Yum

...and a few more things that are nice*.


*But not all things nice. Come on--let's be realistic here.

Are you here because of the Taste of Home feature? Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part, but if you are a new visitor, you might want to check out my all-time most popular post and its follow-up. If you're not new here, don't worry--I have something tantalizing for you too.


Cheesecake! Again! When people ask me which dessert is my favorite to make, I usually answer cheesecake, even though it's my least favorite to consume. There's just so much room for creativity, whether in the choice of crust, the flavor of the filling, or the oodles of possible add-ins or -ons. There are a few I'll deem worthy of a repeat, but for the most part, I do something different every time I make a cheesecake.


You might think that the cookie crumbs in a cheesecake would dry it out a bit, but that's not the case. While they obviously don't add moisture, they don't suck it out either, and they contribute to the most unique and excellent texture. The flavor of the cookies really comes through too. I LOVE oatmeal cookie crumbs--I use them in everything from pie crusts to ice cream toppings. You can use them anywhere you use graham cracker crumbs, with a few minor adjustments.

And hey--don't let the presence of raisins in cheesecake freak you out. It's only a little bit weird, I promise.

Oatmeal-Raisinized Cheesecake
Ingredients:
Crust:
  • 1-1/2 cups finely ground oatmeal raisin cookies (the raisins will NOT grind, and that's okay)
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
Filling:
  • 1-1/2 pounds (24 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup finely ground cinnamon-raisin cookies
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon mixed with 1/4 cup sugar
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To make the crust, toss cookie crumbs, butter, and brown sugar together in bottom of one 10-inch springform pan (or two 8-inchers). Press the crust into bottom of the pan(s) and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Wrap the pan(s) with three layers of foil to keep out the water from the water bath.
To make the filling, in a mixer bowl, blend the cream cheese, sugar, and sour cream until smooth, scraping bottom and sides of bowl to incorporate everything, about 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then the vanilla and flour and blend well, 2 to 3 minutes.
Spoon one-third of the filling into the prepared pan and top with half of the ground cookies. Dust on some cinnamon sugar. Cover with another third of the cream cheese filling and then dust on more cookies and more cinnamon sugar.
Add the last bit of filling and finish the top of the cake with cookie crumbs and a nice dusting of cinnamon sugar. You want to end up with a streusel-ized topping.
Place the pan in a water bath such that the water comes about halfway up the sides of the pan(s) and bake 65 to 75 minutes (for a 10-inch pan; 55-65 minutes for 8-inchers). Turn off the oven and let the cake cool in the oven for 1 hour before removing to fridge. Chill cheesecake at least 6 hours or overnight before serving.


20 comments:

~~louise~~ said...

I LOVE cheesecake in all its decadence, Grace. Just give me an old fashioned cookie crumb crust and I'm in cheesecake heaven!

Yours looks delicious! Normally I would add a hint of lemon juice but that touch of cinnamon is just right.

Thank you so much for sharing, Grace...

P.S. I'm getting my copy of TOH today:)

Rosita Vargas said...

Estupendo te ha quedado seguro que delicioso y aromático!abrazos.

Alicia Foodycat said...

I knew you before you were Taste of Home famous...

Angie's Recipes said...

I love the oatmeal raisin cookie crust! The cheesecake looks divine, Grace.

Gloria Baker said...

I love cheescake ALWAYS and this reminder me many times I dont make one, omy look delicious!
xo

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Yum!! I can't resist cheesecake :) and this flavor sounds so delicious!

Joanne said...

Oatmeal raisin are actually my favorite cookies so to have them in cheesecake form? Pretty ideal, if you ask me.

Unknown said...

As always, this looks so scrumptious, but with a lead in like you have I just have to respond!

I Wilkerson said...

This looks beautiful. Alas, eating everything in sight is another think I can't do anymore, per your earlier post...

Caroline Taylor said...

This sounds like the best idea ever!

Carolyn Jung said...

The taste of a cookie in a cheesecake? Yes, please!

vanillasugarblog said...

I do love a nice kicked up cheesecake!

The Teacher Cooks said...

What a great idea! Who doesn't love Oatmeal and Raisin Cookies And Cheesecake together? That's a winner.

Nic said...

Crazy fabulous and delicious! That's one hell of a cheesecake Grace.

Cathleen said...

I was just looking up oatmeal raisin cookies, but this looks way better! I love this!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

What an unusual flavour! I mean I love oatmeal cookies with raisins and cheesecake. It stands to reason that I'd love them together! :D

Barbara said...

Sure looks great to me...I love oatmeal raisin cookies!
Brilliant combo, Grace!

Katerina said...

I can never have enough of cheesecake! Super!

Pam said...

While I am not a fan of raisins, only you, could tempt me with a raisin cheesecake.

CQUEK said...

These are insane!! Wow!!