A Southern Grace: feeling punchy

July 5, 2013

feeling punchy

Yum

As alcoholic beverages go, I find sangria to be extremely gentle and benign. After all, it's more fruit than anything else.


With that in mind, the concept of a sangria-inspired cobbler makes perfect sense. The list of suitable fruits is long; oranges, lemons, limes, apples, peaches, melons of any kind, berries, pineapples, grapes, and mangoes are just the beginning. For this particular cobbler, I chose peaches (which are fabulous right now), cherries (totally worth the trouble of pitting)(especially if you have an OXO cherry pitter), apples, and a citrus combination of lemon and orange. With all those sweet fruits, the amount of sugar you need to add is practically negligible.

Definitely a cobbled cobbler.

If I'm being honest, I prefer a crumble or crisp topping to this more biscuit-like version, but it's still tasty. What makes it acceptable, nay, enjoyable is that orange-scented sugar that's sprinkled on top--what a great touch. This is a fine dessert as it is, but it's even better warmed and with a massive scoop of vanilla ice cream melting down all over it.

Cobbled Fruit and Wine
Adapted from this recipe
Ingredients:
For the filling:
  • 1-1/2 pounds peaches, peeled, stoned, and chopped
  • 1-1/2 cups cherries, pitted
  • 1 medium apple, diced into 1/2-inch chunks
  • 1 medium orange, juiced and zested (1/2 teaspoon of zest reserved)
  • 1 lemon, juiced and zested
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
For the topping:
  • 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 tablespoons melted butter
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place a 7x11" baking dish or one of similar size on a paper-lined baking sheet and spray it down with nonstick spray.
Put the fruit in a medium bowl with the orange juice and zest (remember to reserve some zest!), and lemon juice and zest.
Whisk the wine, sugar, and cornstarch together and pour it over the fruit, tossing to mix everything.
Transfer the fruit mixture to the baking dish, scraping everything from the bowl.
To make the topping, whisk the flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in that same bowl, making a well in the dry ingredients.
Add the egg, butter, and buttermilk, and mix with a fork until smooth.
Spoon or drop the topping over the top of the fruit.
In a small bowl, mix together the reserved orange zest with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Sprinkle the orange-scented sugar over top of the dough.
Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling viciously at the edges and the biscuit topping is nicely browned.



22 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, I love boozy desserts! This cobbler looks fantastic.

Cheers,

Rosa

Alicia Foodycat said...

This looks very nice. But if your sangria is benign you are doing it wrong! ;)

Dianne @ Sweet Journey Home said...

I will definitely have to try this one! I love cobblers!

I Wilkerson said...

Sangria is my "go to" party beverage in the summer. This dessert looks like a perfect extension to the concept!

foodhoe said...

... and a glass of sangria on the side did you say? sounds great!

~~louise~~ said...

You've really gone and done it this time Grace! Boozy fruit in a cobbler, oh my heavens!

Thank you so much for sharing...

Cheesy Pennies said...

I've started adding a healthy splash of booze to my cherry pies. This takes it to a whole new level. Nice!

Joanne said...

I'm not sure that i can stomach DRINKING sangria right now, but eating it in cobbler form? Yes please!

Unknown said...

I always wonder where you get such original ideas. A boozy cobbler. Yum

Anette said...

I love any fruit or berry crumble, or a mix of then of course! The little touch of orange zest sugar, I've never tried that before, but I promise I will!

Beth said...

I love, love, love cobblers. And the idea of adding orange flavored sugar is genius! I'll have to remember that for the next time I make a fruit dessert. Today, perhaps?

Angie's Recipes said...

A fantastic stone fruit cobbler! The topping looks simply irresistible.

Caroline Taylor said...

I love sangria so this cobbler is right up my street!

Gloria Baker said...

This look delicious Grace!!!

Gloria Baker said...

This look delicious Grace!!!

Juliana said...

Like the idea of the sangria in a cobbler...and now is the perfect time so bake this, since there are so many fruit available...
Thanks for the recipe Grace and have a lovely week :D

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

OK first this is so clever but made even more clever by the orange sugar on top! I'd go for a scoop of ice cream too :P

Katerina said...

I am all in sangria too! It is among the three alcoholic beverages I like. This cobbler is right up my alley!

Blond Duck said...

Now the question is, do you drink sangria while eating it? :)

Penny said...

I love this. I've been thinking of combining Kahlua, cream and peaches in a crisp. You've convinced me that alcohol would be a great in a cobbler or crisp. Looks beautiful.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

sangria cobbler?! Count me in! This is fantastic :)

Laura said...

I prefer a crisp topping too, but I am all about sprinkled citrus sugar and wine in the filling, so I think this looks great!