A Southern Grace: good for the heart*

May 10, 2013

good for the heart*

Yum

Mother's Day foods are usually of the sinful and decadent variety, and I've taken that route twice before. We're trying something a little different this year.


While my gift to Mamster will most certainly be some sort of dessert (I'm thinking coconut cream pie, just to mix things up), I've decided to feature one of her favorite recipes here in her honor. She loves this salad and, though it took me some time to come around, I love it too. It's toothsome and tangy but sweet, and your bean options are absolutely unlimited. Truth be told, I haven't yet placed a bean between my lips that I didn't like.

I declare bean war.

Yes, the beauty of the recipe is that you can pick whatever beans you want and in doing so, you'll be changing the nature of the dish entirely! What's more, you can use any form of bean you have in storage, whether they be factory-canned, frozen, canned at home, or dried. Case in point:
  1. black beans, rehydrated from dried
  2. yellow wax beans, planted, grown, plucked, and canned by Mamby-pamby
  3. chickpeas, from a can
  4. green beans, planted, grown, plucked, and canned by the Great Mambino
I'm still pretty squeamish around the raw onion in this, but maybe by this time next year, I'll like it too. Happy Mother's Day!

*Like beans and mothers. See what I did there?

Four (or Three)(or Twelve) Bean Salad
Serves 10-12
Ingredients:
  • 1 (14.5-ounce) can or 2 cups yellow wax beans
  • 2 (14.5-ounce) cans or 4 cups green beans
  • 1 (15-ounce) can or 2 cups black beans
  • 1 (16-ounce) can or 2 cups garbanzo beans
  • 1 small onion, finely diced
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3/4 cup distilled white or apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
Directions:
Empty all the beans into a colander and rinse well; pour them into a large, sealable, leak-proof container.
In a small pan, whisk together the sugar, pepper, vinegar, and olive oil.
Bring this mixture to a boil, then let it cool.
Add the vinaigrette to the beans, place the lid on the container, and give it a thorough shaking.
Refrigerate for at least a few hours (overnight is better).
Serve cold.

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww that is very sweet of you to share her recipe! It sounds like a pretty healthy one, too. Good for mammy!

Alicia Foodycat said...

My husband loves the canned version which I think is... OK if you are starving. This looks SO much better! Hope you have a lovely day with your mother!

scrambledhenfruit said...

I love this salad, even with the raw onions- I've made this many times, with whatever beans I have on hand. :)I don't however have any home canned ones, which would make it even better.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I do love a good bean salad, red onion and all.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Scrumptious and healthy!

Cheers,

Rosa

José Manuel said...

Que bueno se ve.

Saludos

Becki's Whole Life said...

I was going to make a fresh green bean salad tonight but when I took the beans our of the drawer they didn't look so hot so that was scrapped. So sad. Since I am still craving it I might just have to make yours - it sounds great and I love the garbanzos mixed in with the greens. I also went back and looked at that coconut cream pie - AMAZING!

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe :D

Cheers
CCU

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I didn't realise that your mother's day is the same date as ours! Usually they're quite different but I love that we're finally in sync (if not with seasons :P).

lisa is cooking said...

I don't think I've ever met a bean I didn't like either. This is a great mix of them!

foodhoe said...

Ahh your Mom's bean salad, what a lovely tribute! I have started to soak sliced raw onions in ice cold water for a half hour, it really helps to tone down the pungent bite...

Lisa-Marie said...

I love a bean salad, so I am ALL OVER this. Oooooh yum!

Beth said...

Yes, it's definitely good for the heart! Hope your mom loves the food you've prepared.

Angie's Recipes said...

I am too a fan of bean salad! It must be very delicious.

Carolyn Jung said...

What a sweet post. I bet your Mom is tickled pink that you are highlighting her bean salad. I bet you totally made her Mother's Day with that.

Caroline Taylor said...

I love the idea of this, would be a good thing to take to work.

Deborah said...

The more beans the better, I believe!!

Katerina said...

I think you just made the difference from everybody else on the net! The salad is healthy plus delicious which makes it irresistible!

Joanne said...

I love how this is so versatile! it will definitely be gracing many a barbecue in my life this summer.

Erica said...

I am a huge fan of bean salads! They are healthy, filling and delicious! Love this version, Grace!

Pam said...

I love bean salad and this one looks mighty tasty.

Unknown said...

Your Mammy and I could hang out together over a dinner table as this tangy salad, onions and all is exactly my kind of thing:-)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

I love the little print that says beans and mothers are both good for the heart! This looks great and coconut cream pie sounds absolutely perfect too.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

This is such a simple and wonderful dish :)