A Southern Grace: streuselized

January 30, 2013

streuselized

Yum


I would never be drawn to a plain raspberry muffin. Even if it was the most domed, moist-looking muffin ever made, I simply can't support the use of that fruit in that capacity. It's not that I don't like their flavor, I do--I can eat homemade raspberry ice cream with the best of 'em. The difference, friends, is that the ice cream is strained of all seed evidence.


As far as I know, there are only two things more apt than raspberry seeds to get stuck in one's teeth, and those are popcorn kernels and poppy seeds. Am I wrong to take such issue with raspberries, so much that I avoid them when they're not strained? Probably. Meh, I yam what I yam.


The redeeming factor in these muffins and the reason I eat them is the glorious streusel topping. It's properly buttery and crunchy and sugary and makes the muffin top far, far superior to the muffin stump.


If you like getting the seeds of raspberries stuck in your teeth, you'd be an immediate fan of these even if the streusel wasn't outstanding. They're moist and fluffy and actually kind of diet-friendly.


So to summarize this short post in one sentence: Raspberries can and should be tolerated when streusel is involved. It's all about compromise, folks.

Streuselized Raspberry Muffins
Ingredients:
  • 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup raspberries, coarsely chopped
Streusel:
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
  • 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup butter, cold and cubed
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F. Line or spray 12 muffin cups.
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients and stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be lumpy). Fold in raspberries. Divide evenly among the cups.
To make the streusel, combine the sugars and flour, then cut in the butter until a coarse meal is formed. Sprinkle on top of muffin batter in the pan. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.


Oui oui.

21 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Marvelous! Streusel is such a wonderful thing.

Cheers,

Rosa

Alicia Foodycat said...

I find blackberry seeds more prone to sticking in the teeth, but I know exactly what you mean!

Caroline Taylor said...

These are such a nice idea, I love your cartoon muffin! I know what you mean about the seeds but as you say, all about compromise!

Katerina said...

It is very difficult to find raspberries here in Greece and they are very expensive too! I have the same problem with seeds and korn kernels. I always carry a floss with me ha, ha! These muffins though look pretty amazing!

Gloria Baker said...

I love berries and special strawberries I think these muffins look amazing!!!xo

Leslie said...

I would be more than happy to have seed stuck in my teeth to eat these!!!

Pam said...

I don't mind the seeds at all. This muffin would make me so happy right now! Really wish we were neighbors so I could come and beg you for one (or 4). :)

pam said...

Raspberry seeds don't bother me a bit. AND, I would do just about anything for a streusel topping! I always eat the bottom of the muffin first, saving that sweet top for last!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Oui, oui!

Blond Duck said...

Where have you been all my life, oh strusel strumpet of crumbliness?

Erica said...

I love your muffin face!Delicious looking treat,Grace! Wonderful for kids!

Laura said...

The photos are genius. :)

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

These muffins look way too tasty :D

Cheers
CCU

Joanne said...

You could top pretty much anything with streusel and I could be convinced to eat it. it's just the best.

Marjie said...

I'm no fan of the seeds, either. Your streusel muffins look really great!

Angie's Recipes said...

Streusel topping does make muffins taste so much better! We love it.

Hungry Dog said...

These sound downright delicious. I don't like getting the seeds in my teeth either but I'd say these muffins are worth the risk.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

I think that streusel makes anything great! It's like the free pass of toppings! :D

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

Muffins tops are WAY better than the muffin stump - especially with same yummy streusel!

Savor The Baking said...

lol..That last picture was too funny. I love streussel so i will have to try these with Strawberries. These would be great for breakfast.

Carolyn Jung said...

Streusel makes anything better! In fact, make mine a double helping on top of that muffin. ;)