A Southern Grace: dern it. fudge me to dern.

January 26, 2013

dern it. fudge me to dern.

Yum


As with screeching children and headache pain, I can tolerate Will Ferrell in moderation. I really enjoyed some of his SNL characters (Craig the Spartan cheerleader comes to mind), but I've found that it's quite the challenge to sit through one of his movies in its entirety.


One thing to his credit, though, is that the man commits to his characters, as evinced in the skit containing the quote above. Even when those around him are breaking and laughing uncontrollably, he keeps it together. I can appreciate that, even though often the most amusing sketches are the ones in which the cast members lose it.


FUDGE. This is a post about fudge. More specifically, fudge frosting laced with bourbon and pecans. It's rich, folks. It'll make you smack your lips and pine for a glass of cold milk. If you're on a mission to impress a chocolate lover, a bourbon aficionado, a fan of both bourbon and chocolate, or a human being, this frosting should do the trick. Moist and fluffy chocolate cake in the middle ain't too shabby either.


Methinks Ron Burgundy would approve (especially if you use scotch instead of bourbon). (That's a shout-out to you, Little Brother.)

Chocolate Cake with Bourbon Pecan Fudge Frosting
Ingredients:
Chocolate cake:
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Bourbon pecan fudge frosting:
  • 1-1/2 cups butter, room temperature
  • 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 9 cups powdered sugar, sifted, divided use
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup bourbon
  • 3 cups pecans, finely chopped
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or grease two 9-inch round cake pans; set aside. Sift together cocoa powder, flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Add eggs, warm water, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla, and mix until smooth, about 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl to assure batter is well mixed. Divide batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake until cake tester comes out clean, about 40 minutes, rotating pans once if needed. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool completely.
To make the frosting, melt together the butter and chocolate. Let cool a bit, then beat in 3 cups of powdered sugar. Add the vanilla, lemon juice, and bourbon and mix well, then beat in the remaining 6 cups of powdered sugar and the pecans. If the frosting is too thin, add a little more powdered sugar, but don't go crazy--it thickens as it sets up!
I cut both cake layers in half horizontally so there were four layers of cake. You don't have to do this, but if you don't, you'll probably wind up with extra frosting...which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

31 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

heavenly! This cake is perfect.

Cheers,

Rosa

Alicia Foodycat said...

What a gorgeous cake! I am with you on Will Ferrell. The funniest thing I have seen him in is those Youtube George W Bush skits he did.

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

This cake looks so delicious! I love all the fudginess! As for Will Ferrell, I don't think I've actually watched many of his movies, but I do love "Elf" :-)

Gloria Baker said...

oh! perfect, really perfect Grace:)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am smacking my lips already. If I am going to eat chocholate I amy as well go all the way.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am smacking my lips already. If I am going to eat chocolate I amy as well go all the way.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am smacking my lips already. If I am going to eat chocolate I amy as well go all the way.

Half Baked said...

Love Elf but that's about the extent of my Will Ferrell movie watching. That cake looks scrumptious!

vanillasugarblog said...

ohh ms. grace that is one mighty fine looking cake.
How long did it last?

Sue/the view from great island said...

That is one monolithic monument to chocolate (and bourbon) I want some!

Erica said...

Typing and drooling at the same time...That cake looks delicious, moist and rich! The perfect treat for a chocolate lover!

I Wilkerson said...

Elf's about it for me too. But your cake looks great--and isn't reaching for a glass of milk one of the hallmarks of a good chocolate cake?

Savor The Baking said...

I'm going to make this cake minus the bourbon. It looks like it tastes so good.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh man those layers! I love a good layer cake and the more layers the better! :D

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

So many layers of utter perfection in a cake :)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Barbara said...

I can't watch Will Ferrell at all, period. Have never thought he was funny. I think the only movie he's been in that I watched to the end (hoping for the best) was Bewitched. Learned my lesson there.
Anyway....fabulous cake, Grace. I can tell you're a southern Grace for certain when there's bourbon in the frosting! :)

kellypea said...

Count me out on Will Ferrell. I can't even stand to watch previews of his movies. Nope. But I will die over old Jerry Lewis movies, or Walter Matthau. Go figure. And yes, I will take a slab o' that fugdey cake. Ooh-la-la!

Carolyn Jung said...

OMG, fudge frosting? Who even needs the cake then? LOL I'll just lap up the bowl of frosting.

Letters from a Mermaid said...

this looks absolutely DELICIOUS! i keep scrolling down your blog at all the things i want to make :)

your site is fabulous and i am so excited to follow you. i hope you follow back so we can stay in touch xoxo

Angie's Recipes said...

Irresistible! I love fudge frosting!

Joanne said...

I've really only ever seen Will Ferrell's movies in pieces and perhaps that's why I can stomach them. He is hysterical though.

Love how chocolate-y this is. Serious love.

Pam said...

I am so with you on Will, screeching children, and headache pain.

This cake looks rich, decadent, and totally stunning!

Mimi said...

I'm thinking that I would like a burton concoction to drink along with this cake. Perhaps Velva will have an idea.
Mimi

Beth said...

Bourbon pecan fudge frosting.

I think I have to lay my head down.

Juliana said...

Wow Grace, the look and the sound of this cake is just too tempting...even more that we just came back from dinner and craving for some sweet. Looks awesome!
Have a wonderful week :)

Louisa said...

Fudge and bourbon and cake? Oh, yes please!

Dana said...

Gorgeous cake! It makes me wistful for the south.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

I agree about Will! I am not much of a baker, but this cake sound so so delicious that I am making it!!! Thanks for the inspiration.
Please come and join ON THE MENU MONDAY, my weekly foodie linky party. Link goes live Sunday at 8:00 pm. You and your fudgy wudgy bourbon cake would be a hit!

Jeff @ Cheeseburger said...

I'm a huge fan of bourbon and chocolate. I'm pretty impressed with this cake.

Nic said...

Ahh, if only I could reach in and just pick that slice up! It will happen one day won't it??

kimberleyblue said...

That frosting must be like heaven. It looks so thick and fudgey and I would like to spread it all over anything I eat from here on in!