Orange vegetables tend to be extremely versatile, being just as useful as ingredients in savory recipes as in sweet ones. Pumpkin and carrots are obvious. For some reason, it takes a little bit more convincing when it comes to sweet potatoes, but they're probably my favorite. Another orange veggie that many don't consider as a delicious dessert ingredient is the butternut squash.
The flesh of the butternut squash is sweet and moist and the flavor isn't too strong, which makes it ideal for baking. I think you'll find either of these two batches of muffins to be perfectly tender and tasty, and that's mostly due to the presence of the squash. However, if the sweet stuff isn't your cup of tea (how on earth have you found yourself at A Southern Grace?!), you might try this Savory Corn Crumble concocted by Ivy of Kopiaste. It's a quintessential fall side dish, incorporating all of the best in-season produce!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 1 hour
Serves: 1 baking dish (about 12 pieces)
- 2 lbs butternut Squash, grated
- 1 lbs spinach, squeezed
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 lbs feta, crumbled
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup fennel fronds, finely chopped
- Salt (with caution) and freshly grated black pepper
- A pinch of cumin
- 1.5 lbs corn meal
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 200 ml Greek yogurt 2%
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp margarine divided (to grease the baking tin and to add on top)
- Grate the pumpkin and mix all the filling ingredients.
- In a large bowl add the crumble ingredients and mix using your hand until the ingredients are well blended to form the crumble. If you still see corn meal, add more olive oil, if necessary.
- Grease a 35 x 25 cm baking tin with 2 tbsp margarine. Add half of the crumble on the baking tin.
- Add the filling on top and sprinkle the remaining crumble on top of the filling.
- Add the remaining margarine in small pieces scattered all over the baking tin.
- Preheat oven to 180o C / 350o F and bake for about 1 hour or until the crumble is golden on top.
*Disclaimer: This sponsorship is brought to you by GLAM Media with whom we have partnered for this promotion.