A Southern Grace: puffed up

December 3, 2012

puffed up

Yum


I've said it before, and I'll no doubt say it at least a hundred more times before my laptop becomes obsolete: Puff pastry is magical.


In this instance, I made some itty bitty purses filled with a sweetened cream cheese mixture. These are extremely easy to make and leave lots of room for personalization. In the past, I've flavored the filling with extracts like lemon, almond, or coconut. I've also used a Nutella mixture and then sprinkled the outside with cocoa powder. Go wild!

Cream Cheese Puffs
Ingredients:

  • 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
Directions:
First, prepare your filling by beating the ingredients in a stand mixer or with a handheld mixer until smooth.
Then, roll out your sheet of puff pastry to approximately 10" x 7.5". Cut out 12 squares measuring 2.5" x 2.5":


Put a glob of filling in the middle of each square:


Take opposite corners of a square and fold them toward each other, then pinch them together:


Do the same with the other opposing sides:


Voila:


Nestle the 12 little packages into the cups of a mini muffin tin and bake them at 350F for about 25-30 minutes.
Once out of the oven, give them a good shower of powdered sugar and serve.


Boom.

29 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

OMG, that looks and sounds evil! What a fantastic treat.

Cheers,

Rosa

Alicia Foodycat said...

YUM! Much less hassle than folding blintzes! A bit of cinnamon and some booze-soaked sultanas would be good additions too.

pam said...

OMG! I think even I could bake these!!

Angie's Recipes said...

A fuss free and decadent puffy treat!

vanillasugarblog said...

yes please
and I'll have 3 please.
excellent!

Marta @ What should I eat for breakfast today said...

It looks delish and I adore the pictures with explanation how to make them :)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Yummy, your pictures are delicious looking.

Pam said...

They look amazing to me!

Rosita Vargas said...

Lindo y muy bien hecho me encanta una verdadera delicia para mi desayuno,abrazos y abrazos.

Jackie@Syrup and Biscuits said...

I fall squarely in the "Yes, Virginia. Puff pastry is magical" camp. Just like marshmallows. And fax machines.

Such a nice dessert to whip up on a moment's notice. They're the best kinds.

Thanks, Grace. :)

Katerina said...

Unbelievable! So easy yet so tasty!

Joanne said...

These are puffs of heaven. That's for sure.

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Itty bitty puff pastry purses filled with a cream cheese filling sound fantastic! And I like how they are so cute!

Hungry Dog said...

I need to start experimenting with puff pastry--it makes such a lovely little package!

Unknown said...

What an innovative idea. Love this!

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

These look so good with the crispy outside and the soft creamy inside - oh, yum!

Blond Duck said...

That sounds wonderful!

Sue/the view from great island said...

Grace, your photos always put a big grin on my face...I just love your unique style!

Juliana said...

Wow Grace, this are very simple and look awesome...
Thanks for the idea...and have a great week :)

Barbara said...

I've done it savory....never sweet. These look fabulous, grace!
Love, love puff pastry!

Not Quite Nigella said...

Yep totally agree on puff pastry's magical properties! And these too? Now could you magic some over to me please? ;)

lisa is cooking said...

Puff pastry is a magical thing. And, this filling sounds lovely. The possibilities for add-ins are endless!

Jeff @ Cheeseburger said...

It's amazing how puffs are shaped after they come out of the oven. And the stuffing options are limitless.

Lynda said...

Mmmm, cream cheese and puff pastry- sounds addictive Grace....I would make myself sick on these if not careful! :)

Erica said...

I am drooling here and smiling at the same time :)Those look delicious and I love all the step by step pictures,Grace!

Fath said...

You are a puff pastry genious and my new hero! I'm dying to make these but scared I'll eat way too many, lol!

Carolyn Jung said...

I am down for anything with cream cheese in it. In fact, I'll take two of those, pretty please. ;)

Robin said...

BOOM! is right! These are looking so good, and I must agree that puff pastry is magical indeedy!

I Wilkerson said...

Wow these look so sophisticated but look like something that is really practical. I'd love to add them to a brunch!