A Southern Grace: hot diggity dog!

June 2, 2012

hot diggity dog!

Yum



I'm giddy with excitement about these cookies, folks.


That's right, they're cookies.

At first nanosecond-long glance, they totally look like real hot dogs, right? The truth is that they're sugar, fat, and flour, my holy trinity. The bun is made using sugar cookie dough, baked up in an oblong shape with a dent down the middle. The dogs are made of red buttercream frosting and the mustard is buttercream frosting colored with a lot of yellow and a teensy bit of brown. The onions are simply flaked coconut. Aren't they cute? Credit to Jessie of Cakespy for the idea!

Hot Dog Bun Sugar Cookies
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more for rolling
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened but not meltingly soft
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and heat the oven to 350°F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
In a large bowl beat the sugar, butter, shortening, and salt on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the egg, corn syrup, and vanilla, and beat at medium speed for a total of 1 minute.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and baking soda to combine; then add to the mixer. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds, just to combine. Scrape down the bowl and then mix on medium-low speed for another 30 seconds to mix the dough uniformly.
Gently roll the dough into ovals of about 1/4 cup each. Roll the balls in sugar, then lightly press a dent into the middle of each log with your finger. Arrange at least 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
Bake until the edges are golden and the tops are cracked but not completely set, 13 to 15 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

50 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Awesome! I love the idea.

Cheers,

Rosa

pam said...

They are so cute!!! They almost make me want to try my hand at baking.

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh my! They are absolutely adorable Grace! I thought they were 100% real hot dogs!

Jackie @Syrup and Biscuits said...

This is doggone cute!

Faith said...

Aahhh, these are so cute! They really do look like hot dogs! They'd be perfect for my neice's upcoming birthday party. :)

~~louise~~ said...

No way!!! You had me fooled:)

Way cool! Thanks to you and Jesse for sharing...

Chineka said...

What a cute idea. I'm going to try this. It reminds me of Top Chef Just Desserts Season 2 when they had to make a dessert look like a savory dish.

Sue/the view from great island said...

I'm bringing these to the next barbecue we're invited to, what a great idea!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I was totally fooled!

Alicia Foodycat said...

So cute! What a great idea!

vanillasugarblog said...

grace! I love these!
fell in love with them when I saw them.
yours came out perfect

Elizabeth said...

I was totally fooled when I first clicked on your post! These are so cute.

Haddock said...

The holy trinity looks tempting :-)

Erica said...

Love this idea! They look cute and delicious!

jillian said...

Okay, I really did think these were hotdogs! I was like hmm that's weird...:) They are super cute!

Gone-ta-pott said...

Oh my gosh I'm making these for sure! I just love them! Thank you for such a fun post.

Mel said...

My boys will die over these. Love them, love them! And so will my husband who could realistically eat hot dogs every night for dinner (as the main fare) if I let him.

Carolyn Jung said...

These are adorable! You have outdone yourself. ;)

Joanne said...

Ha! LOVE IT! The only hot dogs I would ever consider eating...

scrambledhenfruit said...

Love them! I am so making these for the next picnic I go to. :)

Beth said...

I'd be giddy with excitement over those cookies too! I can't wait to try them.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I saw it on her blog: what a great & cool idea, right??

They look utterly delicious!

Kerstin said...

So cute and perfect for a BBQ - nice job! :)

Lucy @ Lucyeats said...

That is so fantastic! I wanna make them right now! Maybe with some pizza themed ones too..

Pam said...

You are so awesome! My kids would flip over these babies.

Dianne @ My Southern Heart said...

Those are so CUTE! For a second, I thought they were hot dogs! I love sugar cookies! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Can you say cute??? You fooled me :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Robin said...

Very cute Grace- my daughter asked me to teach her how to cook this summer- these will go on the list! Thank you!!

Deborah said...

These are so cute - and perfect for summer!

Monet said...

Could these be any cuter??? Oh my goodness, I'm in love! Thank you for sharing and making my morning a bit sweeter!

Hungry Dog said...

How fun--perfect for the 4th of July!

vianney said...

these have to be the cutest cookies, perfect for the 4th!!

kat said...

Oh they are supper cute & really perfect for the 4th

Blond Duck said...

And here I thought you were grilling...

Juliana said...

Oh Grace, these cookies are too cute to be eaten...
Have a great week :)

Barbara said...

You could have fooled me! Food art is so much fun and you've done such a super job with these cookies. Hot dog! They look REAL!

Three Generations said...

super cute idea!!!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Sooo cute! I love hotdogs and actually haven't had one in ages, and these cookies are making me crave them (plus cookies) ;)

kimberleyblue said...

Those are the CUTEST cookies ever! Amazing job, perfect for a summer picnic!

Lynda said...

Those are adorable Grace! I really thought I was look at hot dogs. How cute these will be at any food gathering.

shaz said...

These are waaaay too cute! So going to make them the next time I have to "bring a plate" for a party :)

Gloria Baker said...

Grace these cookies hot dogs look amazing!! so cute!!

Gloria Baker said...

anyway I love tthe idea Grace:))

lisa is cooking said...

These are as cute as can be! And, how perfect are they for summer bbq's? Very.

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

Oh my goodness! These are adorable. I bet they would be a hit at any summer picnic, especially with kids!

Nic said...

Oh you little kidder! Another one who has been fooled by these adorable hot dogs.

Marjie said...

These are adorable. They'd be a huge hit with kids of any age!

Pencil Kitchen said...

Really really cute! :D maybe burgers next!!

Lori said...

A great idea for a picnic with the kiddos!

yourfriendrobin said...

These would go great with those cupcake burger/sliders. I've made them and everyone always loves them. Next time I'll try these, too.