A Southern Grace: strawberry fields forever

November 14, 2011

strawberry fields forever

Yum

That's right. I refuse to believe that the time for juicy, tasty strawberries is over. Even though I can see with my own two eyes the boxes containing 20% molding and festering berries, 15% yellowed and nowhere near deep-red berries, and 45% flavorless berries, I'll deny that it's not worth a couple of bucks for that last 20%.


Those 5 berries are great.

There will come a time, though, when there are no berries at all to be had. At that point, I'll express my gratitude for the strawberry jam and strawberry pie filling that's sitting atop my shelves right now. I like apples and pears and other autumn and winter fruits (as evidenced here), but they just don't hold the same appeal as strawberries.


As far as I'm concerned, this is another super-successful cupcake creation. The cupcakes themselves are soft and flavorful--you've done it again, Martha! The sweet, oozing pie filling is a happy surprise and the subtle strawberry taste in the frosting is just right to finish. These aren't the neatest of all cupcakes, that's for sure--you might want to don a bib, or at the very least, be prepared to have strawberry goo running down your chin.


Almost Season-free Strawberry Cupcakes
(from
Ms. Stewart--you know it!)
(makes a mega-batch of 34)

Strawberry cupcakes:
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cake flour, sifted (not self-rising)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 large egg white
1 cup whole milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups finely chopped strawberries
strawberry pie filling, either homemade or bought

Strawberry buttercream:
2 cups (16 oz) unsalted butter, room temperature
6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup strawberry jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk flours, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs and white, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
Reduce speed to low. Combine milk and vanilla. Add dry ingredients to butter mixture in 3 additions, alternating with wet ingredients and ending with dry. Scrape sides of bowl. Fold in chopped strawberries. Divide batter among muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. Bake cupcakes until testers inserted into centers come out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool in tins on wire racks.
To make the frosting, with an electric mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed until pale and creamy, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed; after every two additions, raise speed to high and beat 10 seconds to aerate frosting, then return to medium-high. This process should take about 5 minutes. Frosting will be very pale and fluffy. Add vanilla and jam, and beat until frosting is smooth.
To fill the cupcakes, carve out a cone-shaped hole (and immediately eat the cone)(after adding frosting to it, of course) and carefully spoon the pie filling inside. Apply frosting generously to cupcakes and devour.

40 comments:

Becki's Whole Life said...

We love strawberries all year and my youngest always asks for strawberry cake for her birthday. These would be a huge surprise for her! Any time you put things in the center of a cupcake you have happy cupcake eaters. I like that about this recipe...vs. the cupcakes right in the batter. A great way to enjoy the flavors off season! These could be pretty for Christmas with the colors, too.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Delicious and so pretty!

Cheers,

Rosa

A Plum By Any Other Name said...

You can never go wrong with strawberry jam. Or bibs. (Sometimes I can get messy.) Happy cupcaking!

Faith said...

My hubby's favorite kind of cake is strawberry and I know he'd go crazy for these beauties! We've been missing seasonal berries around here too! :)

Beth said...

Those are some of the most beautiful cupcakes I've ever seen! Strawberry season is long over for us here in Canada. Thank goodness for frozen and canned fruit!

Heather said...

I've made made those same cupcakes before and they are delicous.

Robin said...

I do hate it when strawberry season leaves us and like you I will hunt a few good ones through the winter for a treat here and there! Lovely cupcakes as always Grace!

Deborah said...

I'm totally ok with strawberries running down my chin!

Lyndas recipe box said...

These are beautiful cupcakes Grace. As for strawberyy goo, I'd take it any time of year! Strawberries have always been my favorite food.

Kathy Walker said...

I am looking forward to the strawberries of '12! Our berries were rather flat...no flavor due to the rain we received. We needed the rain but the strawberries didn't like it! I have bookmarked this!

Sue/the view from great island said...

And why is it that the top layer of strawberries always looks impeccable? It's only after you've paid for them and whisked them home that the festering ones show up. Arrrgh. But I do think these looks wonderful, and out of season berries are pretty darned good when you cook them a little.

Aarthi said...

YUMMO..This looks awesome..You have made perfectly dear..

my blog
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

The Blonde Duck said...

I'm the same way with blueberries!

Mimi said...

Lovely cupcakes! I just picked a strawberry from my garden yesterday. I wish there were more.
Mimi

Marjie said...

The lack of good strawberries is why I always take the boys to pick massive baskets, pay $100 in cash money, and freeze bucketloads of them myself. They work wonderfully in cooking!

galit said...

Remember, it's always strawberry season somewhere! (It will be strawberry season in Florida really soon!) Those do look amazing, and Martha really does have some tricks up her sleeve :-) I'll be trying these with my own little strawberry fan when they're in season here (haven't had a strawberry since she came along...)

Joanne said...

I usually use frozen strawberries at times like these...but you're right - those five good ones are totally worth it. Ms. Stewart never steers me wrong when it comes to cupcakes. These look amazing!

Barbara said...

You are on a cupcake run, Grace! One great recipe after another. We can get fresh strawberries in Florida year round, although I always have some in the freezer to make a smoothie. Never have used them in a cupcake.....looks delish!

Juliana said...

This strawberry cupcake looks so pretty, I like strawberries too...delicious with the strawberry butter cream. Always nice pictures Grace.
Hope you are having a wonderful week :-)

Carolyn Jung said...

Strawberry cupcakes are among my fave cupcakes. First, they're so pretty looking in pale pink. Moreover, they just taste so darn good, too.

Anonymous said...

Scrumptious with strawberries! Really loving strawberry jam inside!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

With so much available to us year round it is hard to stick with eating seasonally when temptation is all around. Who could resist strawberries in the middle of winter:D

shaz said...

Imagine all those strawberries, living in harmony....in your belly ;) Ok, maybe songwriting is not my strong suit, but cupcake baking is certainly yours. They look amazing Grace! And since it's strawberry season here, I'm definitely going to give it a go. (And eat a lot of cupcake cones int he process, with frosting).

Julie M. said...

I have a hard time giving up strawberries as well. I always pick pounds and pounds when they're in season and it never matters. 5 pounds or 20 pounds, they're always gone with in days of picking. Just another 5 or 6 months until they're back in season, right?

Maybe I'll bake up a batch of these beauties whilst I wait.

lisa is cooking said...

I don't think I mind having strawberry goo running down my chin. The filling under the frosting looks great!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Mmmm strawberry cupcakes! Martha does everything right. And what's wrong with having strawberry sauce dripping down my chin? ;)

Velva said...

This is beautiful...Strawberries will be back this winter in central/south Florida.

Cheers.
Velva

scrambledhenfruit said...

I just think it's amazing that you can get strawberries at just about any time of the year in the grocery store! :) These cupcakes look really good- strawberry cupcakes are my grandson's favorite, and he'll soon be here for me to spoil!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

how scrumptious! Hehe I use denial on a daily basis-doesn't hurt me at all! :P

Sabina Sala said...

excellent cupcakes
sabina

Lisa-Marie said...

OH. MY. DAYS.

it's like Victoria sponge but better and more jam-filled.

You are my cake making hero Grace!

cocoa and coconut said...

I think, generally, filled cupcakes are a little bit messy when you bite into them. But that's all part of the fun! These look gorgeous and the use of strawberry (even though it can be difficult to find nice sweet ones, you're right) is a lovely touch.

Pam said...

Oh Grace - you never cease to make me drool. YUM!

Hungry Dog said...

I'll don a bib for a cupcake, no problem. These are so pretty!

vianney said...

I love cupcakes with a sweet filing, marhta really knows her cupcakes!!

Hotly Spiced said...

Beautiful and inviting looking.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

It is a sad day, indeed, when strawberries are gone for the year. But if they were available year round, then we wouldn't have that giddy feeling of discovery the first day in spring when we find a box of strawberries in the store!

A cupcake for which you need a bib? I'm in!

Lori said...

I happily eat my frozen strawberries all year long. Its not like eating a fresh strawberry that is for sure but I can be reminded of strawberries when I eat them. And like the commenter above me it is oh so super exciting waiting for the first strawberries of the year.

I love your surprise cup cakes- one of these days I am going to make some!

Gloria Baker said...

look amazing Grace, love strawberries!! gloria

~~louise~~ said...

I'm with you, Grace! There's always room for strawberries somewhere!!! Your cupcakes look sinfully good! Darn I wish there were just one left for me:(

Thanks for sharing...