A Southern Grace: herwig's

September 16, 2009

herwig's

Yum

Do you like pork products, or simply pigs in general? Are you a glutton for verbal (and, in some instances, physical) punishment? Most importantly, do you have a sense of humor and a hunger for fine, filling, and flatulent food?


If so, this place is for you.

I made my way down to State College, PA, over Labor Day weekend to spend some quality time with my family. My brother, who's currently living there, has stumbled upon quite the unique and extraordinary restaurant--it’s called Herwig’s, and it’s magnificent. The cuisine is all Austrian, all the time, and although I can’t speak from personal experience, it’s all authentic too.

Aside from the delectable dishes, which I’ll describe momentarily, one of the draws of this place is its utter disregard for manners and niceties. The servers and cooks aren’t afraid to bully the patrons, and do so with wild abandon. They’ll even pelt you with plush pig toys when you're not looking.

It’s all in fun, though, and it all is fun. Particurlarly enjoyable is the eating portion of the experience. The options are handwritten on a chalkboard in German, and there's no pointing and ordering--they make you say what you want, no matter how badly you butcher the pronunciation.

Here’s what my party of four ordered:

Hax’n—a whole pig’s leg, sauerkraut, and knodel, expertly-consumed by my brother:

For the record, he only allowed me enough time to take two pictures, which was kind of him but explains why you don't see the porker's limb in all its glory. The sauerkraut is a favorite for him, but he's learned that there are limits to what his system can handle...

Bratwurstplatte—two brats, potater salad, and sauerkraut, handled nicely by Merlin:

His only disappointment? The place is BYOB, and he had none.

Rosmarin Schweinsbraten—rosemary roast pork, sauerkraut, and potato salad, which completely conquered Mamster, who had to shamefully ask for a box:


Mariniertes Huhn—grilled chicken breast, tater salad, and a green salad, which I’m proud to say fit nicely into my belly:

The seasoning of the chicken was wonderful, and the pat of herbed butter on top certainly didn't hurt. I really enjoyed the potato salad--it was mostly smooth with an occasional hunk of soft tuber, with hints of mustard shining through.

We were all pleased, and aside from Mammy’s shameful display, we were all members of the Clean Plate Club. Herwig's is good eats.

Other highlights of my trip to State College included burgers, all cheesed up and straight from the grill...


...and grilled corn--can the rods of golden kernels get any better? I vote no.


I also scored a bounty of tomatoes, potaters, and squash, canned green beans, salsa, and dilly beans, jams, jellies, apple butter, applesauce, and a good dose of lovin'. Even though I've been living 700 miles away for about two years, my Mamster still takes good care of me.

56 comments:

Barbara said...

It was a foodie day extraordinaire, Grace! Everything looks delicious-you did great with your photos even tho your brother chowed down while you were trying to take them. Also laughed at Herwig's sign. :) And those burgers...OMG.
Always nice to have some lovin from Mom and comfort food to boot. Fun day!

Jennifer said...

Wow it all loooks AMAZING!!! And that sign is hilarious!!!

Foodie with Little Thyme! said...

How fun! It sounds like it's a meal for all of your senses. That chicken does look good.

maybelle's mom said...

wow, what an amazing place--it looks great. but with those serving sizes I don't think I would a clean plate ranger.

oneordinaryday said...

That sign is hilarious!
You were kind of in my old neck of the woods. I grew up nearby and have spent many a day in State College. Did you get to pop into any of the neat little shops in between keeping your belly full?

Half Baked said...

Sounds like a fun place! The food looks great but the portions are HUGE!! Love the sign:)

shaz said...

Sounds like a great dining experince. Did Mum have to pay for her takeaway box?:)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Holy smokes...that's a tremendous amount of food. Love the photo with the herb butter melted all over your chicken.
~ingrid

Gloria Baker said...

Rosa sound like a fun place!! but so big portions! gloria

Gloria Baker said...

Wow, Grace sorry me I told you rosa,sorry I was at Rosa blog, xxxgloria

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Haha this sounds like quite the place indeed! I have an Austrian friend and when I saw all the rich food that they consume I aksed her what they for Summer and she said "The same thing but cold" lol

Anonymous said...

What an awesome sign. :-P
I've grown to love sauerkraut over the past few years and all of that food looks delicious.

lisa is cooking said...

Herwig's sounds like fun! I haven't had good German sauerkraut or potato salad in ages.

Anonymous said...

I want to try that whole pig's leg! All the dishes here sound amazing!

vanillasugarblog said...

my kind of place!
love that small appetites will be charged double! AMEN! Reminds me of Panera Bread. Have you ever seen those sandwiches? Amuse bouche

Albany Jane said...

Oh man, that kraut looks spectacular! Consider this place on my list of restos to try!

♥peachkins♥ said...

WOW! eveything looks scrumptious!

Eve said...

wow Grace! That's a lot of wonderful looking food in one post!

I absaloutly LOVE LOVE the sign. I want one for my kitchen!

KaTom Restaurant Supply said...

If I'm ever up that way, I'm going to try that place out...and the throwing of the pigs cracks me up because here in the office we throw penguins at each other. Haha! I'm sorry for not commenting more often. I do try to read!

-Jenna :)

kimberleyblue said...

we have a resto in montreal with a similar idea -you've got to eat all your food, or you're charged extra. however, they're a strictly vegan resto, so i guess that's where the similarities end!

that looks like one meat-heavy table, just the way i like it. awesome place, i'd love to check it out.

Jennifer said...

That sounds like tons of fun and a great place to work! And good food in the mix and it would be heaven for me!

Maria said...

Fun sign:) Maybe too much meat for me though..ha!

Marjie said...

There is nothing in the world so much fun as a restaurant with a good sense of humor. Those seem to be the only ones you clearly remember years later, even when the food has disappeared from memory.

Pam said...

What a fun restaurant! The food looks tasty and I really love the servers have a sense of humor.

Anna said...

But did he have to pay $35 for the box? I'd have sneaked one in. I always want to do that at Chinese all-you-can-eat buffets; sneak in some tupperware under my coat... But in this circumstance I think I'd just take it for the team. Nice going on finishing yours!

pigpigscorner said...

The dishes are huge!! Love it.

The Blonde Duck said...

The rules and being pelted with plush pig toys sold me!

Can we keep the toys?

Lyndas recipe box said...

All that food has me drooling; what a time you had! That chicken and roasted corn look very tempting...the sign is sooo funny!
All in all, I'd say you had a great time with your family. Believe me Grace, you will never get too old that your mama won't want to take care of you!

noble pig said...

How I would love a place like this in my town OMG...so, so awesome. I love that they hit you...with pigs even!

Velva said...

I love that sign! It would be perfect to hang in any kitchen.
The portions are enormous! I guess that is the idea.:-)
Looks like you had a great time!

Lori said...

I am so glad you got some good lovin' Grace!

Whew what a restaurant. It is place where you better bring all of your appetite, eh?

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Food looks so good in that restaurant. What a good time you must had with the family.

MaryBeth said...

What a cool sounding place...I bet you had a blast

Maris said...

Love it! I want one for my kitchen :)

Unknown said...

Wow! Es ist sehr schön! I'm jealous!

Cate O'Malley said...

Gotta love a place with a sense of humor - and the food looks pretty good too!

Rebeca said...

Lol... what a fab place... I'm always up for a challenge :)

Kathy Walker said...

I would so love the experience. I know that I love the food! Different approach to dining!

SarahKate said...

YUM! I don't know if I could finish all that food... but I'd certainly have fun trying!

Kate at Serendipity said...

Das is sehr Überraschend! We´re still in Germany, and the restaurants are all featuring the seasonal plate of Haxen and Knödel. Yesterday I had a bratwürst for lunch. Sehr gut!

Sounds like my kind of place. Sounds like my kind of mammy too. Does she adopt?

foodhoe said...

I love restaurants that dish out attitude like that! The food looks good, I've never had Austrian food, must check it out. Looks like a great weekend of food...

Sandie said...

Good Lord, look at all that food! I'm full and I haven't even eaten a bite (I would have joined you though, love places like this) :)

unconfidentialcook said...

Pig Heaven! A nice "light" meal...that's right up my alley! I love that food,and it sounds like you had a great weekend.

Lindsey@pickyeatings said...

I don't even have any words.

Juliana said...

Wow, I don't think I can finish all, but sure would like to try :-) They all look so yummie!

Kerstin said...

My hubby would love this place! It sounds like a fun restaurant with a lot of character!

Amanda @ Mrs.W's Kitchen said...

Looks delicious, Grace!

Anonymous said...

Let's just say, "wow." I have got to get to this place. It looks like it might be heaven. Or hell. Which is why I have to try it. :D

Unknown said...

Everything looks so good. specially the bratwurst! I could get used to a place like that.

Lele said...

Hah that sign is amazing. It sounds like everyone's grandmother yelling at them for not finishing.

Penny said...

Love places like that! We have a German restaurant tucked in the mountains of NC that I need to blog about soon. Glad you got a dose of Mamster's cooking!

Jessica said...

Love this! And just LOL-ed!

Lisa said...

It reminds me of a dinner I had in Vienna, Austria under a tent at a weekend festival. There was meat, meat and more meat along with noodles and sauerkraut. Not my thing usually, but it was an experience. This looks like an interesting one too. You are brave! :-)

Southern Grace Gourmet said...

This looks like the greatest place! Would love to visit sometime

Josie said...

I have eaten here! It is, indeed, delicious and totally entertaining!

Jeanne said...

Sounds lke a scream - that poster is hilarious & the food looks fab. We are off to Oktoberfest in Munich next weekend and lok forward to food just like this :)