A Southern Grace: sheet pan fan

November 30, 2017

sheet pan fan

Yum

Chicken with sweet potatoes and cranberries. I've been making sheet pan suppers for years!


Imagine my delight when it became all the rage--for once, I was ahead of the game regarding a food trend!

I've learned that one of the most important things about making a successful sheet pan supper is to have a high quality sheet pan. They're practically useless if they warp or if everything under the sun sticks to them. OXO makes the best sheet pan I've ever used--it's thick and sturdy, with a non-stick, two-layer coating that's ceramic-reinforced for exceptional performance and food release. Plus, the cool micro-textured pattern adds structural rigidity and minimizes surface contact to improve airflow for even baking. No warping here! The square-rolled edges add reinforcement for structure, strength, and durability, and provide a secure grip for easy handling and transferring to and from the oven.


Best. Sheet. Pan. Ever.

It was the perfect tool for this fall-inspired supper of chicken with sweet potatoes, cranberries, rosemary, and maple syrup. Everything was tossed together in a bowl and then dumped onto the sheet pan to bake, making for easy clean up and a quick and delicious meal! I think this is the first time I've used cranberries in such a way, and I really liked the tang they contributed to the maple-coated chicken and sweet potatoes.


OXO has a plethora of other items to make your sheet pan suppers a breeze, including the handy Chef's Precision Digital Instant Read Thermometer that provides quick, accurate measurements for cooked meat, the Silicone Roasting Rack, which elevates food above fat and liquid for healthier cooking and allows air to circulate around food for faster, more even roasting, a Flavor Injector, and a Good Gravy Fat Separator. There's nothing like some good equipment to get you fired up in the kitchen! Happy sheet panning!

Sheet Pan Chicken with Sweet Potatoes and Cranberries
(printable recipe)
Serves 3-4
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or tenderloins, cut into 1- to 2-inch chunks
  • 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, par-cooked in the microwave for 2 minutes, and diced
  • 1-1/2 cups fresh cranberries
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary)
  • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
  • Salt and pepper
  • Handful of pistachios, for garnish
Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, herbs, and spices until well blended.
Stir in the chicken pieces, sweet potatoes, and cranberries and mix until everything is coated.
Pour the mixture onto a half sheet pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the chicken is 160 degrees F and the sweet potatoes are done.
Serve with a sprinkling of shelled pistachios.


Disclaimer: OXO provided me with items to use for this post, but any opinions about that awesome company and their products are my own!

11 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

I too love one sheet pan meals! So easy, fuss free and fun!

Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen said...

This recipes came at a perfect time--I've been craving sweet potatoes like crazy lately!

Gingi said...

This looks perfect for the holidays.. and one pan means less cleaning which I am ALWAYS for during the holidays, haha! <3 - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

Big Rigs 'n Lil' Cookies said...

Never thought of adding cranberries to a sheet pan meal. Excellent idea!

Food Gal said...

I love the ease of sheet pan dinners, too. I also love a trick I learned from a chef, which is to preheat your sheet pan before putting your ingredients in to cook. That way, the potatoes and proteins really get a nice sear on them.

Inger @ Art of Natural Living said...

I am a late comer to sheet pan dinners. But I do love them now--such an easy way to get a full meal that still keeps its flavors. Great combo!

Marcelle said...

Yum, I love sheet pan dinners and this one looks wonderful. Sounds delicious and it's really easy on the eyes too! Nice recipe, Grace!

All That I'm Eating said...

Love the sound of this, just perfect at this time of year!

Pam said...

OXO have great products! This meal is my kind of dinner... YUM!

Emma - Bake Then Eat said...

These are the kind of meals I like to make for my hubby, as he is a meat eater and I am not I don't really want to handle the meat too much and these sheet pan meals are perfect. I shall try this one on him soon!

The Underground Restaurant Chef said...

I made this dish of yours, it's very good indeed and easy and perfect for these cold days we are having now, I really enjoyed it. one comment I did use a little extra oil cause I thought it was a little dry before baking, And sprinkled it with Maldon before I served it. It was delicious love the herbs. Thanks for posting.