A Southern Grace: leggo my eggo!

November 24, 2012

leggo my eggo!

Yum


On second thought, you can keep your frozen, commercially mass-produced excuse for a waffle. I have one that's fresh and made from scratch by me!


Waffles. Another breakfast delight that has brothers and sisters all over the world:
*Belgian waffles are identified by their larger size, lighter batter, and higher grid pattern which forms deep pockets and has larger squares than standard American waffles. It is somewhat similar to the Brussels waffle, but Brussels waffles are hard and crispy on the outside. As opposed to a traditional North American waffle, the Belgian waffle attributes its height to the use of yeast batter instead of a pancake batter.
*American waffles vary significantly, but are often made from a batter leavened with baking powder and may be round, square, or rectangular in shape. They are generally denser and thinner than the Belgian waffle.


*Brussels waffles are lighter, crispier and have larger pockets compared to other European waffle varieties, and have rectangular sides.
*The Liège waffle is a richer, denser, sweeter, and chewier waffle. They're an adaptation of brioche bread dough, featuring chunks of pearl sugar which caramelize on the outside of the waffle when baked.
*Stroopwafels(!!) are thin waffles with a syrup filling. The stiff batter for the waffles is made from flour, butter, brown sugar, yeast, milk, and eggs. When the waffle is baked and while it is still warm, it is cut into two halves. The warm filling, made from syrup, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon, is spread in between the waffle halves, which glues them together.



Yum. I've unofficially made it my goal to try each and every version of the waffle. If you're looking for a foolproof recipe for the typical American waffle, this is it. You'll find that it yields waffles with crispy outsides and soft innards, with just enough buttery flavor and all the maple syrup absorption capabilities one could ever want.

There it is.

In a word, perfect.

Waffles, American-style
Makes about 8
Ingredients:
  • 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 8 ounces butter, melted
  • 3 cups milk
  • 6 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
In a large bowl, blend together your dry ingredients.
Add the wet ingredients and mix until all the dry ingredients are moistened.
Preheat your waffle iron; when it's ready, give it a squirt of nonstick spray and pour in the amount of batter specified in the instructions for your iron.
Top with peanut butter, butter, maple syrup, fruit preserves, fresh fruit, or whatever ruffles your skirt.

32 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Terrific! Homemade waffles are the best.

Cheers,

Rosa

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

You are a waffle aficionado.

The perfect waffle recipe. The one I have been looking for to delight my husband and now it is too late as he has turned vegan. *sigh*

Alicia Foodycat said...

Looks wonderful! I don't have a waffle iron, so I will just have to admire your experiments from afar.

Beth said...

You're making me long for waffles this morning!

Joanne said...

Girl, I want to dive into that pool of maple syrup and butter. That's a normal response, right? :P

Elizabeth said...

I love the nook and cranny picture!

Asmita said...

Home made waffles are amazing! Love it!

Savor The Baking said...

I love Belgian waffles and the first picture that you have posted. Thanks for stating the differences in the waffle types. I will try your recipe for my husband and I one weekend.

Amy (Savory Moments) said...

Mmmmmmmm.... these look sooo good. It's been way too long since I've had waffles!

Jackie@Syrup and Biscuits said...

Waffles. I wish had invented them.

Thanks for the culinary lesson, Grace! I prefer Belgium waffles and that's the kind of waffle maker I have. The pockets of syrup puddled up in the nooks and crannies melt my little heart.

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

What I wouldn't give to have your waffles over frozen ones! :)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Not Quite Nigella said...

That's a perfectly noble pursuit Grace!! I've tried all of them and I love them all but the Belgian probably has my heart :P

Lisa-Marie said...

We generally do Belgian waffles (I have a waffle machine that is like a toastie machine, but for waffles), so I am all over trying your American version!!

Lisa-Marie said...

We generally do Belgian waffles (I have a waffle machine that is like a toastie machine, but for waffles), so I am all over trying your American version!!

Angie's Recipes said...

Absolutely inviting! The 2nd photo looks so dang good!

The Squishy Monster said...

oooh! I wanna dive head first into these pillowy beauties!

pam said...

When we adopted our daughters from Vietnam, the 8 year olds first complete English sentence was "leggo my eggo!"

Katerina said...

Waffles for breakfast are the best!!!

Pam said...

YUM! I love those waffle bites with lots of butter & syrup melted into the nooks & crannies.

Hungry Dog said...

These look like they are right out of a magazine! Simply beautiful.

Dana said...

Home made waffles are so good! I really like the sounds of a stroopwaffle!

Blond Duck said...

I haven't had waffles in ages. It's a tragedy. I must have these. How many does one batch make?

Erica said...

My kids love waffles and I always buy them frozen! I would love to make some at home! yours look so beautiful and delicious,Grace. That is perfect waffle :)

Dianne said...

Wish I could reach through the computer screen and have those warm with Vermont maple syrup...just wishin' here!

Unknown said...

Those look wonderful! I am much more of a fan of American-style waffles myself, Belgain-style is just a bit too heavy and dense for my taste. must try!

Juliana said...

Wow Grace, your waffle looks great...mouth watering...I would love to have my fork in one of this...especially the one with lots of butter and syrup :)
Have a great week ahead!

I Wilkerson said...

I do homemade waffles too. You are right, they are soooo much better than commercial, tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.

lisa is cooking said...

I think tasting every possible waffle is an excellent idea. I'd love to do that too. And, these American waffles look fantastic. I need to pull out the waffle iron!

vanillasugarblog said...

grace!
my waffle machine (a cheap one) did 2 weekends ago!
I need to get a new one, you just reminded me.

Laura said...

It's a good think I was already planning breakfast for dinner tomorrow because those photos just about did me in. Now I must have a waffle. And can I just say trying every kind of waffle out there is a seriously worthy goal!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try this waffle recipe with my family! It looked so good that I featured it on my blog as "the featured recipe of the day". You can check it out at http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/2012/12/homemade-waffles.html . Everything is linked back to you so my readers can see the other yummy recipes you have posted!

Shauna

Anonymous said...

Just made these this morning..and they were SOO GOOD!!! I'll never make waffles from the box again..ever! Thanks for a great recipe!!!