A Southern Grace: for ladies who lunch in lunchlady land

September 30, 2012

for ladies who lunch in lunchlady land

Yum


You may have noticed that I don't post a lot of savory recipes, mostly because I tend to eat the same meals over and over again. Plus, they're boring anyway and usually not post-worthy. Whether sloppy joes are exciting enough to feature or not, I've decided that it's their time!


Aside from the obvious association with Adam Sandler's Lunchlady Land("...hoagies and grinders, hoagies and grinders, sloppy joes, slop-sloppy joes...")(yeah, that one'll get lodged in your head and stick there for days!)(you're welcome), the dish known as sloppy joes* also happens to be quite delicious.

It's a fairly versatile recipe too--you can make it with whatever meat you want/like/have on hand/need to use up, and you can season it exactly as you please. I like mine a little sweeter than most and happen to be a fan of oregano, so there you go.


Note: Napkins and/or bibs are totally necessary. Just embrace it; after all, the word sloppy is in the name.

*Incidentally, I went through a stressful and upsetting time thanks to a fella named Joe, so for a couple of years, I changed the name of these to sloppy josephines. It didn't stick, but that doesn't mean I've forgiven Joe. This gal holds grudges. :)

Slop-Sloppy Josephs
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • salt and pepper, to taste
Directions:
In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper; drain off liquids.
Reduce heat to medium and cook onions, peppers, ketchup, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, and oregano with meat for 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to simmer and cook mixture 5 minutes longer.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve on rolls, sliced bread, or buns.


34 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Scrumptiously sloppy!

Cheers,

Rosa

Beth said...

I love it when people post savory recipes, because I make the same stuff over and over again too. I love getting new ideas. Your sloppy joes/josephines look way more interesting than mine, and I'll definitely give them a try!

Alicia Foodycat said...

The filling looks so rich and flavoursome! I've never had a sloppy joe but I do happen to have some appropriate buns to fill...

Lisa-Marie said...

This is referred to as a 'mince roll' on Scotland. It is one of my favourite things to eat ever.

vanillasugarblog said...

yessssss please! Been ages since I've had some of this.

Leslie said...

Wait??? No Cinnamon??? I kid I kid!
These look great! I love homemade sloppy Joes

pam said...

I love lunchlady land if it's filled with sandwiches like these!

Lynda said...

Oh yes, sloppy joe's are delicious; must have one every once in awhile.....like maybe tomorrow Grace, after seeing your yummy looking joseph!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love sloppy joes!!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love sloppy joes!!

Anonymous said...

Love these!! Up in the north these are also known as hot tamales!!! Yummm Yummmm

kellypea said...

I would destroy several napkins on this one, because that's what I do. And I'm all over savory recipes. We cannot exist on sugar alone. Okay, so maybe.

I Wilkerson said...

Too funny!b I did sloppy chucks (with chuck roast) a while back!

Carolyn Jung said...

Ladies who lunch will definitely have to remove their white gloves when eating this. But oh, it would be so worth it, though. ;)

~~louise~~ said...

Not a single thing boring about this meal Grace. It looks fabulous!!!

Thanks for sharing...

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Certainly not boring but overly scrumptious my friend :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

lisa is cooking said...

I love Lunchlady Land! I'll enjoy having it stuck in my head today. The best thing about a sloppy joe is the sloppiness!

The Squishy Monster said...

ohhhhh, I haven't thought about this deliciously messy sandwich is ages--this picture is calling to me ...I really want this for dinner now!! Looks yum, yum, yummy!!

Katerina said...

This is something I haven't tried yet! Your Josephines look absolutely mouthwatering!

Laura said...

LOL I am never calling them Joe again! Looks awesome, and I agree sweet all the way.

Eh to Revolution, undecided to Elementary and yay in a weird crazy way to last resort.

Louisa said...

Sloppy josephines... I love it! Yum, this looks so tasty.

Blond Duck said...

I really want to eat this tonight. This sounds delicious!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Definitely blog worthy Grace! Actually I'm the same, for lunch I just have salad and it's not that interesting! :P

Savor The Baking said...

Yummy!!!! I am definitely going to have to cook this for my husband and I. Although he says that he doesn't like sloppy Joe's I am convince that this recipe will change his mind. lol

Marjie said...

Sloppy Joes are about the best Saturday night dinner ever! I tend to cook the same things over and over, too; it's kind of comforting.

Barbara said...

Nothing better than a sloppy Josephine! The sloppier the better. I like mine a tad sweet too and this one fits the bill. As far as Joe is concerned, may he rot in the place all bad former boyfriends go. :)
BTW: I LOVE that song....Ladies Who Lunch.

Pam said...

I haven't had a sloppy joe in ages... thanks for the tasty reminder!

kat said...

I totally want one of those for dinner tonight, seriously my mouth is watering!

Faith said...

Ohmygoodness, totally worth the fact that I wreck every shirt I've ever worn while eating a sloppy joe! (Yes, I'm a super messy eater...and yes, I need a bib. :) ) You have no idea how badly I wish I could reach right in and grab that beautiful sloppy sandwich!

Erica said...

This looks amazing,Grace!I love all your desserts, but this dish is fantastic!

Joanne said...

I was actually thinking about sloppy joes this morning because I was remembering meals my mom used to make for us when we were kids!

Anonymous said...

Those would be so yummy for lunch!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Sloppy joes sound awesome right about now; with these dreary weather, I'm really craving a hearty meaty dish!

kimberleyblue said...

I haven't had sloppy joes in forever. Used to love them when I was a kid (my mom would melt Kraft singles on them!)

This post makes me want to have them again...