A Southern Grace: the tilde is key.

August 31, 2012

the tilde is key.

Yum


I just realized that since I was a kid I've been saying that Christopher Columbus sailed the ocean blue on the Nina, the Pinta, and the Santa Maria. I was wrong, of course, for all these years. It was the Niña. I feel foolish.


To my credit, I've always pronounced piña correctly, though I guess I've never used it in any context other than piña colada. You can't ignore that tilde, folks!


That, in case you were confused, was my segue into these piña-colada-inspired cucpakes. There's lots of coconut involved in both the cupcakes and the frosting, and the filling is basically pineapple flambeed in rum. Yowza.


So...maybe these are so outstanding that I'll be forgiven for my tilde transgression?

PiñaCocoColada Cupcakes
Ingredients:
coconut cupcakes
coconut buttercream frosting
Filling:
  • 8 slices pineapple
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup rum
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
  • 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped and reserved, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  • Pinch of salt
Directions:
To make the filling, first stack the pineapple slices and cut into quarters, then into a small dice. Heat sugar in a large skillet over medium-high, stirring, until sugar melts and turns golden brown. Add pineapple; toss. Carefully pour in rum; immediately tilt skillet slight to ignite alcohol. (If using an electric stove, use a long match to ignite alcohol.) When flames subside and caramel melts, carefully stir in cream, orange juice, and vanilla-bean seeds. Reduce heat to medium; boil, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Fold in the coconut. Let this stuff cool completely before using or storing.
Make the cupcakes and frosting as instructed in my earlier post.
To fill the cooled cupcakes, carve out a cone-shaped hole and carefully spoon the pineapple-coconut innards into the hole. Apply frosting generously to cupcakes, sprinkle with toasted coconut, and eagerly stuff your face full of piña goodness.

31 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

One of my favorite cocktails... Those cupcakes must taste heavenly!

Cheers,

Rosa

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

OK here's the deal, I shall happily forgive any transgression as long as I can have one of these cupcakes pretty please? ;)

Robin said...

Yeah I could get into a few dozen of these! I love coconut. do you ship;-)

Lynda said...

Another picture perfect creation! I love coconut and would love a dozen of these babies. Me thinks you need your own bakery Grace!

Faith said...

Lol, I've been pronoucing it wrong too! I blame my elementary school teacher. :)

Love piña-colada so I'd be all over these cupcakes!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Do you like piña colada, and getting caught in the rain? (well, yes, and no.) Great cupcakes!

Marjie said...

I need to buy more cupcake pans. I can't make enough to keep everyone happy, and you keep providing me with these heavenly ideas!

lisa is cooking said...

How can a pina colada not just make you happy? And, a pina colada cupcake--same situation. Love that filling.

Gloria Baker said...

grace I love these piña colada cupcakes look delicious!

Elizabeth said...

I love that pocket of coconut!

Pencil Kitchen said...

I was just over at Kitchen Riffs admiring their pina colada... :') Now, you just over-roasted Jesica with these cuppies.....

Choc Chip Uru @ Go Bake Yourself said...

Mmmm I love the beautiful cupcakes :)

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

tania@mykitchenstories.com.au said...

Oh yes, beautiful. I dont know about the pronunciation but the cupcake.....yes please

Anonymous said...

Who wouldn't love 1 or 2 of these georgous creations?

MMMMMM,...! They look awesome, tasty & well-flavoured too!

Pam said...

I could eat WAY too many of those beauties... YUM!

Erica said...

Wow! I love a pineapple-coconut combination in a cake! Those look amazing,Grace!

cocoa and coconut said...

Wow doesn't this look fantastic! I'm loving the texture of coconut and fruits too in fact.

Mimi said...

Yum! This is the way to go for pina coladas since I always like to chew my calories rather than drink them.
Mimi

pam said...

I'm not a huge fan of coconut, but I love a correctly used tilde.

Nabídka práce said...

I love that pocket of coconut...

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I ove to drink pina coladas so why not eat one as well.

I Wilkerson said...

A really good drink turned into a cupcake? Life is good!

The Squishy Monster said...

What a gorgeous pairing! ...and your cake looks very moist!!

Lisa-Marie said...

You are forgiven, those look AH-mazing, and I am now singing 'If you like piña -colada, and getting caught in the rain!'

Deborah said...

Give anyone one of these cupcakes and you are SURE to be forgiven!

Barbara said...

Brilliant! A pina colada in a cupcake. You are such a clever girl....it's my favorite drink.

Joanne said...

I'm pretty sure I've said Nina also! I'd better make these immediately to atone!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic said...

Pineapple flambeed in rum?? Wow! I LOVE all the flavors here!

Juliana said...

Oh Grace...I wish I could reach through the computer screen and grab the cupcake...looks awesome...and the filling sounds amazing...reading your post, it sure got my mouth watering.
Thanks for this delicious recipe and have a wonderful week :)

Rosita Vargas said...

Maravilloso cupcake esponjoso y tentador una exquisitez,abrazos hugs,hugs.

Kerstin said...

Yum, what unique cupcakes - they sound fantastic. My hubby loves pineapple and coconut together so I'm bookmarking these :)