January 18, 2008

bring on the baklava!


I have an unhealthy obsession with baklava.

Wait, back up--that sentence is missing a word. It should say, "I have an unhealthy obsession with authentic baklava." By authentic, I mean hand-made, fresh, and true to its origins, not that factory-made, frozen garbage that isn't worthy of the name. In fact, that stuff should be called blah-klava.

(The following is not an example of blah-klava.)


I feel strongly about this distinction, because when baklava's good, it's sooooo good. Melt-in-your-mouth, elate-your-tastebuds delicious. But when it's bad, it needs to be drop-kicked into a dumpster.

Just say no to blah-klava.


I've never made baklava for fear that it would fall into the latter category. What a let-down that would be, because it's neither quick nor simple to make. Another problem is the plethora of recipes floating around out there. How can I be sure that the one I use will produce the baklava that I crave?


It's a conundrum.

Lately, several of my fellow bloggers have been attempting to make this luscious treat. After seeing all their pictures and reading of their successes, I'm very close to going for it myself.


I've been inspired, even by this bacon baklava...


I'll keep you posted.

1 comments:

lisa said...

I gotta say, I've never tried baklava, mainly because it looks a little scary to me. I'm not usually afraid to try new things, unless they just don't really look very good. Sorry! Maybe when you're ready to try your own, I'll give it a go. (o;